Theoretical Perma-Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sybadd, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Sybadd

Sybadd Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2013
    Hi all

I have a question on space and ethics.

My veg plot has five 4.5 x 1 meter planting lanes.

I rest one of these each year. I am thinking during the time it's resting to put a chicken run over it for 3 or 4 laying hens to permanently live.

They will have a run 4m long, 1m wide and 0.5m tall plus a coop at the end making up the rest (0.5 x 1 x 0.5 with a little extra hight having a apex roof)

The idea is the girls dig, scratch, peck and poop in there from January to January with kitchen scraps, compost, grass clipping, ample worms and chicken feed.

They thence am the earth is alloys to settle for four months before the planting.

The question is is this enough room?

Thanks in advance

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How many birds and what is your climate?
    Not sure 4 months is enough for the poop to compost to the point it won't burn seedlings.

3. Sybadd

Sybadd Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2013
    Hi thanks for the reply

As mentioned I was thinking 3 or 4 birds. Our climate is very mild here in north west France.

I suppose at a push I could put them in November till the following December and let it rest 5 to 6 month.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sounds pretty good. Look up the Balfour method, might interest you as a way to rotate gardens with chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by