MIchickenlady

Crowing
6 Years
Jul 10, 2017
Battle Creek, Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Hello.
I have been all over online looking for any umbrella organization that provides training, registers or certifies Therapy Animals including chickens.
So far I have spent an entire day on Pet Partners .org website reading, watching videos, and getting my hopes up that finally I had found an organization that allows chickens because they allow birds. The following is the disappointing response I received from them this morning--
" At this time we do not register chickens in our Therapy Animal Program. In order to incorporate a new species into our Therapy Animal Program, we need to have a substantive body of research that indicates the animal will be successful as a therapy animal. Without research to document the species' behavior over time, we cannot evaluate their predictability and reaction to stress. We are not opposed to adding new species to our roster should the supporting research become available, and we take pride that we are the only national therapy animal organization to register species other than dogs and horses."
(They allow for Therapy Lamas, mini horses, rats, and alpacas...but not chickens).
*Sigh*
So my question for the BYC community is- for those of you who have 'Therapy Chickens', did you get some sort of training? Did you register or certify with an org? Do you take your chicken on visits in public spaces, and if so, do you have liability insurance in case someone is injured by your pet chicken?
I think one of my hens would be a lovely Therapy Chicken, but I feel the need for some sort of basic training and registration as an assurance to the people I would serve at places like nursing homes, libraries, and other public spaces.
Any thoughts or info at all would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I've heard of Silkie chickens in nursing homes, so I would find one of those nursing homes with the Silkies, and see what they say. Also, seeing you are so interested, maybe you can start your own organization that does therapy chickens. I have chickens for my own personal therapy. I like to train them, hang out with them, and hug and love them, and even study them in new ways.
Getting them used to people is one thing, but getting them used to other things such as dogs, cats, noises, and sudden movements can be tricky. You want to train your birds not to get spooked easily, because that's when they can hurt a untrained handler.
If you was to start your own organization, I would really study the chickens like never before and study certain breeds. Some breeds are gentler than others, some like people, and some like being held. Some things just go from bird to bird. I hope that you can use your chickens for therapy, and maybe get it out there with therapy chickens.
:thumbsup

If I was to certify one of my chickens I would try to use this website: http://www.therapyanimals.org/Home.html
I have never done so but want to!

The idea of making your own business as Lacy Duckwing stated is very appealing...

Please keep me updated!!!
You should do that!
Unfortunately for me, their website states-- " Intermountain Therapy Animals operates only in Utah, Montana and Idaho."
I live in Michigan.
I will keep the info in mind-thank you!!

5A5BF520-9A84-4B72-9879-01E70C149FC4.jpeg

You need a Delaware Cockerel therapy bird.

I don't think so. While a lot of people on here say that poultry are smart (I certainly consider mine smarter than most wildlife), mammals just have this... trainability about them. Jist like even though you can 'train some fish, they won't ever be therapy certified. Some animals just aren't meant to be therapy certified. But that doesn't mean you can't speak with people about having your chickens visit. My employeer will allow me to bring one or two calm birds to out parking lot on days I don't work and he expects it to be stressful for our co-workers (football games, sports from the highschool, Valentine's for some reason, ect)

Some chickens love to be held and are very calm but we've found it depends upon the person. Just because they cuddle with family members is no guarantee they would react the same with strangers in an unfamiliar situation and place. I think it's a great idea to find a facility who would be willing to give it a try just so you could find out whether this is worth pursuing. Frightened chickens can scratch and do harm just from panicking so I would want to be very sure yours would remain calm even in an unusual situation.

Back
Top Bottom