Therapy Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chillchick, Apr 7, 2018.

1. chillchick

chillchick In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2018
    Hello! I am a special education teacher in New Jersey. I have my undergraduate degree in social work, seven New Jersey Education certifications and my Masters in Special Education. I am also an adjunct professor in the Education/Special Education Department of a university. I have used classroom animals with my students in a private school setting and three public schools. My students have emotional/behavioral issues, as well as learning disabilities. The animals provided a nurturing classroom environment, helped to develop social skills and were integrated into the academic standards. My students with ED/BD also completed a Service Learning Project, sharing their knowledge of the classroom pets with students with multiple disabilities/autism. I was also a winner of the Pets in the Classroom Lesson Plan submission for two years in a row.
    We have had Reading Therapy Dogs, frogs/toads, lizards, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, turtles, hermit crabs, fish... We called one program, “Reading with Rodents!”
    My students have had terrific, healing, growing experiences with the animals!
    I am now looking into developing a program using chickens – and I came across your site.
    Any information anyone would be able to provide would be greatly appreciated, especially in the area of "certification" of my chickens.

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Reading. Must read more. Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    rjohns39, Teila, 007Sean and 3 others like this.
  3. chickengirl778

chickengirl778 Songster

Apr 17, 2017
    This site is sure to be a great resource! Where were you thinking of getting the chickens, and where you thinking of keeping them in your own backyard or at the school?

4. FrankieDoodle

FrankieDoodle Free Ranging

Jul 29, 2017
    California
    :frow Welcome to BYC!!! :woot

rjohns39, Teila, ronott1 and 3 others like this.
  5. Lacy Duckwing

Lacy Duckwing Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    Maine
    :welcome
    Chickens make great therapy animals. Chickens can teach special needs people about other people. Whenever I need to relate I always relate to chickens. I heard about this special needs girl who had therapy chickens. Also they are now having chickens in nursing homes.

6. Ursuline Chick

Ursuline Chick Free Ranging

Jul 21, 2017
    :frow Welcome from New Orleans, congrats on being such a great teacher who thinks out of the box to ensure her students have wonderful and exciting learning opportunities. Search the forums and continue to ask questions. I think you have a great idea. Hope BYC can help you to bring it to fruition.

7. chillchick

chillchick In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2018
    Thank you for your encouraging words! I'm really hoping I can make it work!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I read that in UK they have lap chickens for folks in the nursing home. The residents love the visit and so do the hens.

9. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Free Ranging

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hello, :welcome It’s great to have you here :thumbsup

10. Watermelon123

Watermelon123 Songster Premium Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Northern Ohio,
    Hello! I am from Ohio and have a therapy rooster. His name is Shouty and we go around to many camps and events in the area together. He was hatched with a twisted beak and has always been a house chicken. Because of this, he thinks of himself AS a human and loves going to new places.

If you are looking to make certification "official", I would check out the Delta Society (Now called Pet Partners) to do that. I also have a friend of mine that runs a therapy RABBIT organization, F5RS Bunnies in Baskets. She would know more about certifying "unconventional" animals so to say. She has helped me a lot with Shouty.

One thing I would highly recommend is purchasing a "Hen Holster". It is the chicken equivalent to a flight suit. Most organizations require animals to be house broken, but because that is hard to do with birds, such devices are allowed.

Good Luck!

Shouty out on the job:
    Screenshot 2018-04-07 at 10.02.10 PM.png

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by