Therapy Chickens

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
Hi! I just had a random thought. There are so many posts that ask about how to get chickens when they aren’t allowed. I was wondering if anyone has been able to skirt this clause by having therapy chickens? I was telling DH the other day that my blood pressure seems to go down if I’m in the garden or with the chickens. I’m sure there are people out there suffering from anxiety or depression that would feel much better if they had a couple of chickens as therapy pets. Anyone know if this would be a legal loophole? Just like you can’t take animals in many stores UNLESS they are therapy or guide dogs. I am in no way suggesting that this should be used by someone with no medical issues, rather if there were some medical issues that could be improved with chickens if the law banning fowl would be bypassed with 2-3 therapy chicks.

This is a subject where the observation of actual abuses fuels the perception of widespread abuse, sadly making chicken ownership more difficult for everyone. Further, the bona fide use of therapy animals by those whose challenges are invisible tends to reinforce preconceptions. The vast disparity between regulations setting minimal requirements for service animals and those regarding therapy animals further reinforce negative stereotypes.

SO... Exploring this option is likely best left to those with need of therapy animals and their therapists, rather than casual discussion on a forum which might be seen as promoting chicken ownership frist and foremost, rather than seeking therapuetic companionship - so as not to appear to give further support to those negative stereotypes.

Hi! I just had a random thought. There are so many posts that ask about how to get chickens when they aren’t allowed. I was wondering if anyone has been able to skirt this clause by having therapy chickens? I was telling DH the other day that my blood pressure seems to go down if I’m in the garden or with the chickens. I’m sure there are people out there suffering from anxiety or depression that would feel much better if they had a couple of chickens as therapy pets. Anyone know if this would be a legal loophole? Just like you can’t take animals in many stores UNLESS they are therapy or guide dogs. I am in no way suggesting that this should be used by someone with no medical issues, rather if there were some medical issues that could be improved with chickens if the law banning fowl would be bypassed with 2-3 therapy chicks.
If you legitly need a Theraphy animal ( Medical History, Diagnosis ) then yes BUT if you "fake" it you can do jail time. States are cracking down on people for using fake service animals and everything under the provision of having them because people are lying just to take their "pets" everywhere or get away with other rules/laws....
I know because I am Deaf and seen so many abuse the privilage of service animals with their pets because they are not the same.
*** If you have a Service Animal you can only have one, no other pets / animals are allowed*** That is the guideline for service animals.

@U_Stormcrow posted the perfect reply.
Abusing the system for selfish personal gain is disgusting.
If you're not allowed chickens but think you should have them anyway. Outlaw up. Don't go a route that could effect innocent others.
Also therapy animals aren't service animals. They're not allowed to be taken anywhere and everywhere.
If you do actually think they would help you the best idea is to just move rural where they're allowed. Country living is therapeutic in itself.

@U_Stormcrow posted the perfect reply.
Abusing the system for selfish personal gain is disgusting.
If you're not allowed chickens but think you should have them anyway. Outlaw up. Don't go a route that could effect innocent others.
Also therapy animals aren't service animals. They're not allowed to be taken anywhere and everywhere.
If you do actually think they would help you the best idea is to just move rural where they're allowed. Country living is therapeutic in itself.
Correct.
https://adata.org/guide/service-ani...rectly related to the individual’s disability.

I believe you are confusing Therapy vs Emotional Support. Educate yourself. Having a Therapy Animal, means taking a Handler Course, and testing your Animal. If you are certified, you can visit various businesses to provide comfort (Nursing homes, hospitals, colleges, schools, etc) You are covered under the National Organization insurance Policy during your Therapy visits. It takes a lot of time and training to have a certified Therapy Animal. As far as I know, no National Therapy Organization certifies Chickens. They are classified as barnyard animals

I believe you are confusing Therapy vs Emotional Support. Educate yourself. Having a Therapy Animal, means taking a Handler Course, and testing your Animal. If you are certified, you can visit various businesses to provide comfort (Nursing homes, hospitals, colleges, schools, etc) You are covered under the National Organization insurance Policy during your Therapy visits. It takes a lot of time and training to have a certified Therapy Animal. As far as I know, no National Therapy Organization certifies Chickens. They are classified as barnyard animals
If I were to try and become certified, I would educate myself. Just thinking out loud for others. Emotional Support would be a better term than what iHere are a few things I found online:

https://backyardpoultry.iamcountrys...therapy-chickens-combat-isolation-loneliness/

https://www.hobbyfarms.com/therapy-chickens-creating-bonds-and-improving-health/

Also, I’m sure you didn’t intend it that way, but writing “Educate Yourself” sounded condescending. There are much more polite ways to offer suggestions to well-meaning people in this community.

Back
Top Bottom