therapy chickens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by flopshot, Jun 21, 2009.

1. flopshot

flopshot Songster

Feb 17, 2009
    Montana woman uses chickens as therapy animals

Posted: Jun. 19, 2009

POLSON, Mont. — Therapy dogs can be a comfort for seniors and those recovering from illnesses and injuries. So how about therapy chickens? Jana Clairmont of Polson, Mont., calls her therapy birds - a white rooster and Cornish game hen - "Fowl Play."

On Thursday, she took them to visit residents at Polson Health and Rehabilitation Center in northeast Montana.

Many seniors were raised on farms, Clairmont says, and holding a chicken can bring back memories.

As one man stroked the rooster, Alex, the bird stretched out his neck and rested it across the man's forearm, like a puppy.

Clairmont has arranged visits to retirement and assisted living homes, and says she'd like to take Alex and Carlita, the hen, into classrooms this fall.

---

Information from: Missoulian.com

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My wife calls my chickens my mid life crisis.

They are therapy for me.

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Aww. What a fabulous idea. We have a 'home for the aged' just about 500 yards from us. Wonder if they would be interested....

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    [​IMG]I read that as well...great story! I am interested in doing here in Florida. We could start a movement and change the ways peopleveiw chickens...lol
    Then maybe laws will change...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: