Therapy dogs, how to go about it?

mustangrooster

Songster
Mar 2, 2016
A little on the crazy side.
First off, let me introduce to you guys the dog that I have been interested in making a therapy dog.

This is the little goober. Her name is Heidi.

Heidi~.JPG Heidi and Chicca.jpg Heidi.jpg Heidi 2~.jpg DSC06415.JPG DSC06570.JPG DSC06307.JPG Heidi and her Dino.JPG

She is absolutely gorgeous, and she has come so far since that little helpless 4-week old puppy she used to be. She turned one this year (only a couple of months ago, actually) and she is a pitty x Bull Arab. Or so we were told. Being the runt she is a medium-sized dog and doesn't have the size of a Bull Arab. Can I just say that she is very smart too? She learned to sit at 5 weeks old. And she now knows heaps of tricks. Due to her background/history, she is a hyper and energetic dog, but she has come a long way. So, what am I talking about this for? Well......on and off for a while now I have thought about making her a therapy dog. And just recently I have been thinking about it seriously. But, I have no clue on how to go about it or even the steps in making a therapy dog. I have been searching some sites for what makes a good therapy dog, and she seems to tick most of the boxes so far. She will probably need a little more training, though. When I say therapy dog, I'm talking about visiting schools, hospitals, Retirement homes etc. But, why would I want her to specifically be a therapy dog? After all, I do have 2 other dogs. Well, I'll tell you.

She is very very kid tolerant. I'm talking like you could pinch her and she would just look at you. She is used to little kids doing everything to her and she will just lay/sit there smiling like "Yeah, what next?" Whereas the two other dogs would get grouchy if a little kid was laying on their back etc. Our oldest dog (he is around 10 next year) would also growl at little kids who are getting too playful with him. She loves playing too (but doesn't every dog? :D)

When she was really little (when she was too young to be at home alone) she would go everywhere with me, and she was a huge star. She would attract babies to little kids to adults and everybody loved her. Earlier this year when I took her to our towns show she was a huge hit there, too! People kept coming up to her to ask to pet her and I even had people asking to sit down with her for a bit. She just seems to have that effect on people. And she doesn't mind, she is a very comforting dog and is very loyal. Everybody would say how beautiful and sweet she was, oh and how funny she was.

Whilst she can be very hyper, she is always alert and always listens. She just knows when someone is down and she will come up to you, she'll look at you and just sit there quietly until you start to feel better. If you allow her she will even lick you to make you feel better. She adores people and loves getting attention, she also loves other animals. She is also very patient and will stay with you and be your listening ear for as long as you need.

However, because we are a while out of town and live rural, she is not 100% used to wearing leashes and tends to pull a bit. (As we walk with no leashes out here and is used to going where she wants on walks) She can also be a bit rough if she gets over-excited, and the little goober tends to give off little happy barks when she has a lot to say or is excited, but if she was to have a chance to become a Therapy dog, I would work on that.

I mentioned that I took her to a show not too long ago. Whilst most people loved her, I did get a couple of people shooting looks of disgust or even horror at her. And I knew it was because its clear that she has pitty in her, and there is always going to be those people who hate the breed because they think they are mean and aggressive dogs. I would love to be able to raise awareness for the pitbull breed and educate people on the breed with her as well. I imagine that could be done if we visited schools or such?

We have a very strong bond and I would just love to be able to help other people who need comfort and to also raise awareness for the pitbull breed, even if she isn't a full pitty.

I'm clueless on how to even begin to train her to be a therapy dog. Or how to even qualify for her to be a therapy dog. I need your guy's input, please. Or even thoughts/suggestions. I did find a little info about how to qualify a dog to be a therapy dog but it was for dogs in the US.....I'm in Australia.

Much appreciated,

-Mustang

@mustang first need to prepare her for testing, where do you live please I would love to help but need a few questions about you and her... Has she been around loud noises? How did she react a start like what is that bit does she run or stand her ground?

Wish I could help. From what you discribe, I think it would be a great idea. We have a few members from Australia, hopefully they can offer some help. Good luck with your project. She is a beauty!

Thank you! :)

@mustang first need to prepare her for testing, where do you live please I would love to help but need a few questions about you and her... Has she been around loud noises? How did she react a start like what is that bit does she run or stand her ground?

We are located in the NT. And what kind of loud noises do you mean...? Like machinery noises or just loud noises in general?

Unfortunately, I have no clue how to get her into therapy training in Australia...

But I do have some tips for you to work with her on... first, I would definitely work with her on a leash... even though it isn't necessary for her where you live, she needs to learn that while on a leash at any time, she needs to listen and obey what you are asking... due to her high activity, I would run out energy before training time... if she fetches a ball, or likes to run, do those types of activities until she gets the nerves out, then work with her once she is a bit tired... not completely worn out, just the edge off...

I would also do high energy activities before she has to go be social and calm with people, might help keep her excitement down when she needs to be calmer...

She is an absolutely lovely girl, and I gotta say she reminds me of a dear friends dog I used to watch... she was a brindle pit mix that had separation anxiety... every time he would go to work, she would break out of the house, garage, chain link fence, etc, to go looking for him... when she couldn't figure out where he was, he changed jobs, she showed up on my doorstep... I watched her every day after that, and I had a newborn... that dog was the most trustworthy I have ever seen, and would protect my child with her life... others would always say I shouldn't trust her, but she proved time and again that she deserved it...

Those are once-in-a-lifetime companions, treasure that one... :)

these are for the US but will likely be true for anywhere in the world.

Step 1 socialize socialize socialize. that doesn't mean meeting and interacting with everyone and everything. that means seeing, hearing and learning to ignore them. that means she has to have seen and interacted with people wearing hats, glasses, bulky clothes, skimpy clothes. In a wheelchair, in a walker. kids who run and screech. people with deep voices, people with high voices. people who may not have good coordination and may accidentally thump her pretty hard or even hurt a little bit.

She needs to know noises. Screaming kids. Patients down the ward who may be in pain. Sudden noises from someone dropping a stack of trays. Sirens or alarms going off. All of these she needs to accept calmly and remain under your control.

Other dogs. She isn't likely to be interacting with them (most programs require that there be a certain distance between dogs who may be visiting the same facility) but she's going to need to ignore them entirely. That includes other pets that may be visiting who may NOT be trained or therapy dogs. Some nursing homes allow residents to have their own pets or have a resident pet that lives at the facility. She needs to be able to ignore all of that - cats, dogs, birds, noisy parrots, whatever.

That is why leash training is 100% important - if something does happen and she panics, you need to be able to remove her immediately. It also prevents her from bolting if she does get scared. Also, it's likely going to be a firm rule with any facility you enter.

Step 2 can be done at the same time. Decide on a few facilities that you want to visit. Talk with their activities director and see if there is a certain registration program that they prefer that you have. If not, how much insurance do they want you to carry? It's vital that you have liability insurance in case of accidents. Most registrations give you insurance case someone is accidentally injured by your dog or you break something. $100,000 is the minimum that I would go with.
Decide on a program and read up on their testing and requirements.

For a large dog, that is going to include no pawing or putting feet up on people. And no kisses!! EVEN IF THEY ENCOURAGE IT!! You're going to have to be good at grooming - keep nails short and rounded to curb accidentally scratches and cuts to patients. Hair well groomed and as low-shed as possible. Always carry a small hand towel to wipe jowls necessity in some breeds but a good idea for all.

Step 3 prepare for and pass your testing. Usually pretty easy for a calm, well-trained and socialized dog. For my therapy dog, I had to wait until he was 5 years old. He was simply too energetic to get any enjoyment out of the experience.

Step 4 set up visits and ENJOY!

Attachments

• IMG_20151010_125831_954.JPG
    IMG_20151010_125831_954.JPG
    379.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20151010_143714_495.JPG
    IMG_20151010_143714_495.JPG
    427 KB · Views: 4
  • 13940230_10209126224146122_819526479_o.jpg
    13940230_10209126224146122_819526479_o.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 4
Thank you! :)

We are located in the NT. And what kind of loud noises do you mean...? Like machinery noises or just loud noises in general?

so now you have all sorts of help yes horns honking garbage can clatter but use the link provided by @dainerra for where you are I am also in USA Washington state

Unfortunately, I have no clue how to get her into therapy training in Australia...

But I do have some tips for you to work with her on... first, I would definitely work with her on a leash... even though it isn't necessary for her where you live, she needs to learn that while on a leash at any time, she needs to listen and obey what you are asking... due to her high activity, I would run out energy before training time... if she fetches a ball, or likes to run, do those types of activities until she gets the nerves out, then work with her once she is a bit tired... not completely worn out, just the edge off...

I would also do high energy activities before she has to go be social and calm with people, might help keep her excitement down when she needs to be calmer...

She is an absolutely lovely girl, and I gotta say she reminds me of a dear friends dog I used to watch... she was a brindle pit mix that had separation anxiety... every time he would go to work, she would break out of the house, garage, chain link fence, etc, to go looking for him... when she couldn't figure out where he was, he changed jobs, she showed up on my doorstep... I watched her every day after that, and I had a newborn... that dog was the most trustworthy I have ever seen, and would protect my child with her life... others would always say I shouldn't trust her, but she proved time and again that she deserved it...

Those are once-in-a-lifetime companions, treasure that one... :)

Thanks Rayvn :)

Yes, I agree. I definitely need to work on her leash walking skills........which might take a while. She is not used to being on the leash.... She also loves playing ball/fetch and she loves to run and to be honest I'm not sure if she gets too tired from doing it, but it does tire her a little, so I will make sure to do that before training sessions. Sometimes it seems like she has an endless amount of energy.

Thank you again, Heidi is a sweetheart! Your friend's dog sounds gorgeous! I can just imagine how protective she would have been, especially over your child. Pitbulls used to be called 'The Nanny dog' before they got their bad name, and its lovely to hear stories about pit bulls being protective over little ones....:)

these are for the US but will likely be true for anywhere in the world.

Step 1 socialize socialize socialize. that doesn't mean meeting and interacting with everyone and everything. that means seeing, hearing and learning to ignore them. that means she has to have seen and interacted with people wearing hats, glasses, bulky clothes, skimpy clothes. In a wheelchair, in a walker. kids who run and screech. people with deep voices, people with high voices. people who may not have good coordination and may accidentally thump her pretty hard or even hurt a little bit.

She needs to know noises. Screaming kids. Patients down the ward who may be in pain. Sudden noises from someone dropping a stack of trays. Sirens or alarms going off. All of these she needs to accept calmly and remain under your control.

Other dogs. She isn't likely to be interacting with them (most programs require that there be a certain distance between dogs who may be visiting the same facility) but she's going to need to ignore them entirely. That includes other pets that may be visiting who may NOT be trained or therapy dogs. Some nursing homes allow residents to have their own pets or have a resident pet that lives at the facility. She needs to be able to ignore all of that - cats, dogs, birds, noisy parrots, whatever.

That is why leash training is 100% important - if something does happen and she panics, you need to be able to remove her immediately. It also prevents her from bolting if she does get scared. Also, it's likely going to be a firm rule with any facility you enter.

Step 2 can be done at the same time. Decide on a few facilities that you want to visit. Talk with their activities director and see if there is a certain registration program that they prefer that you have. If not, how much insurance do they want you to carry? It's vital that you have liability insurance in case of accidents. Most registrations give you insurance case someone is accidentally injured by your dog or you break something. $100,000 is the minimum that I would go with.
Decide on a program and read up on their testing and requirements.

For a large dog, that is going to include no pawing or putting feet up on people. And no kisses!! EVEN IF THEY ENCOURAGE IT!! You're going to have to be good at grooming - keep nails short and rounded to curb accidentally scratches and cuts to patients. Hair well groomed and as low-shed as possible. Always carry a small hand towel to wipe jowls necessity in some breeds but a good idea for all.

Step 3 prepare for and pass your testing. Usually pretty easy for a calm, well-trained and socialized dog. For my therapy dog, I had to wait until he was 5 years old. He was simply too energetic to get any enjoyment out of the experience.

Step 4 set up visits and ENJOY!

here is a good starting point - https://www.deltasociety.com.au/

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2017/06/how-to-train-your-dog-for-therapy-service/

I simply typed "therapy dogs australia" in google and then "therapy dog training australia" and got pages and pages of sites

Thanks! These steps are great and I will use them. Thanks for the sites too, they were a great starting point. Your dog is gorgeous :love

so now you have all sorts of help yes horns honking garbage can clatter but use the link provided by @dainerra for where you are I am also in USA Washington state

Yep.:thumbsup I'm going to start to introduce her to a lot more noise, anything that basically makes noise I will introduce her to. She is socialized to car horns honking, and garbage clattering wouldn't bother her.

___

So. I have been doing a lot of research and I have found some good sites. The delta society etc I couldn't really become involved with because it's not online and involves traveling to certain places to complete training. I need an online course and I have found a few that when Heidi has completed training, I can volunteer in. I have also found some sites that sell vests saying "Therapy dog" etc aswell as tags. I also found an online place that can register/qualify her as a Therapy dog too. If everything works, Heidi will be the first and so far only Therapy dog around here.....:)

I assessed her tonight and finalized three (or more...) things that need working on.

1. Leash work and obedience whilst on the leash. She pulls and pulls. She was so strong she even broke the leash clip that she was on :rolleyes: She also has selective hearing whilst on the leash and she can get a bit out of hand. So, I certainly need to work on that with her.

2. Jumping. When she is approached in a high pitched voice like; "AWEE Hello bubba" she gets excited and tries to jump up.

3. Distractions. When distractions are present, she tends to have selective hearing. It took me about 5 times to get her to sit when she could see the piglet ahead of her.

I was aware of these things earlier, but now I seriously need to 'fix' them if she is going to be a therapy dog. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

you don't need to go to the specific classes for Delta though many do offer them. You can travel to take the test and receive her registration. The thing about joining Delta or another group is that you will be covered under their liability insurance. Any trainer can help you with the issues you have. The importance of class is that she will have to learn to keep her concentration around other dogs.

I wouldn't even bother with an online training course. It is missing the key element of training - someone to observe and help you.
Those online registrations are simply a waste of money It's no different than you printing a sheet of paper in your living room. They exist to make money from people who don't know what is actually required as well as pet owners who think it will allow them to take their dog anywhere in public.

Most of your "issues" are simple puppy behavior. You may have to wait unitl she is older and more mentally mature.

Back
Top Bottom