Therapy ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Miss Ducky, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Miss Ducky

Miss Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    Anyone ever heard of therapy ducks before? Anyone have therapy ducks? I found this video and thought it was kind of cool [​IMG] Maybe I'll have to raised some therapy ducks...I want ducklings again this year and the parents aren't going for it. Perhaps therapy duck training will convince them [​IMG]

2. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

well how awesome it that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Thats a wonderful story! I raise and show ducks in 4-H and I have used my birds to help my brother, who is autistic, to become calmer around animals. I have also taken my ducks to the fair every year for 5 years and every year I have MANY people, often those who are disabled, come over just to hold my ducks! My birds are just mutts, but they have wonderful personalities and would make great therapy animals. I think that would go for many ducks!

4. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Thats pretty amazing. I never would have thought of duck therapy before lol. Keep learning something new everday. Glad to see that people can be so creative and the duck looks like he couldnt be happier with his life style! [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I take my dachshund to a nursing home on Wed. afternoons for pet therapy, last week I took my 3 week old Muscovy duckling, had her in a cat carrier, soon as she gets about 6 weeks old will order her diaper harness so she can start going with us every week . she was a hit. [​IMG]

6. Miss Ducky

Miss Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    Cool! I wonder how one would go around training ducks for therapy? I have a girl who I think has good potential, but I don't really handle my ducks other than feeding them from my hand.

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Someone here had a therapy duck. I think it was a pekin who was just really in to people. I don't remember seeing her around lately though. She had taken her duck places in a harness with a diaper (?). I do seem to remember some places being helpful and enthusiastic about her bringing a duck and others treating her like she had suggested grinding up old people for fertilizer [​IMG]

8. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    One person had a duck with bad legs or something and they had this huge thing rigged up and they "rolled" around, they used him for therapy too! I'm getting an indoor duck as soon as the eggs hatch in my bator, and i wanted to use him as a therapy duck!!!!

9. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I can not watch the video because I have old fashioned dial up and it would take forever....however, my ducks and chickens provide lots and I do mean lots of therapy for me each day so i can understand how it would work.....animals to me can be very calming..

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Awww, I love it! [​IMG] Several years ago, I had a Pekin duck that I would bring to my kids school, and let the kids pet her and watch her. Let me tell you, she was a huge hit there! Its just to bad, that the schools don't allow pets to come to school anymore. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by