Therapy Geese -- please tell me more!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Denninmi, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    How do you become involved in this? Is there an organization that certifies the animals the way is done with dogs? Any links or resources.

I tried google, but didn't find much at this time.

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:So who told you that geese are/were used for Therapy Animals? I am a goose lover but I can't picture them used this way.

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:So who told you that geese are/were used for Therapy Animals? I am a goose lover but I can't picture them used this way.

It is on the thread about the Cotton Patch Geese!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=540601

I can't imagine taking my Emden gander to therpy at the nursing home I take my dog and duck too. He would be biting everyone there. [​IMG]

5. hossfeathers

hossfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2009
    It is on the thread about the Cotton Patch Geese!

Ah! Okay, maybe I can help clear this up, as I'm the one who brought up the ALBC article.

The owner/manager of Flip Flop Ranch is Dr Harvey, a licensed counselor/social worker/therapist/whatever the proper title is. She does Equine-assisted Therapy, and is branching out to using other sorts of activities (like taking care of the Heritage Breeds at her ranch) to help treat people with violence and battering issues.

Just as physical therapy can be done in a pool, but the key ingredient isn't the pool but the therapist, I imagine goose-assisted-counseling hinges on the skill of the therapist, with the geese being a tool for the eventual outcome.

I think therapy animals can be great, but there is a lot of room for abuse and craziness (one should not expect to be able to ride your therapy horse into the grocery store, for example.)​

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    So funny this topic just came up...I am actually going to be taking my two new Toulouse goslings to a nursing home for a pet visit,I'm thinking.Here's why....these two were raised in a city with a little yard and people.They came here and are not integrating with the other geese well at all...they follow people everywhere.They chat at us...follow us....and are extremely friendly.They taste your clothes,shoes, and whatever you are carrying in your hand.They eat out of your hand.They follow you to the pool and to the feeders.They "greet" you every time you come into the yard or wherever they are with a bunch of noises and wing flappings [​IMG] They are really,really people oriented.I think the elderly will enjoy seeing them.I hope it turns out well.Just thought it was funny this was brought up because I thought maybe I was a little "nuts" for thinking of using them like that!
    But my other geese?? NO WAY! Totally barnyard geese and not "pett-ish".The Toulouse are almost, believe it or not, TOO dependent on people's company....for the first 3 days I had them they would sit right by the door until I came back outside!I would have to "take" them to the pool and the food and pick grass for them to start grazing. It's cute....but I feel bad when I have to leave them.I am sure they will adjust after more time but I thought...since they are so friendly, why not use it to the fullest and give some elderly folks a chance to see something they don't usually get to see?
    Anyway...I think it is definitely do-able to have a therapy goose after seeing these two....

7. hossfeathers

hossfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2009
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:That is amazing [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by