Therapy...???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sequin, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Ok, I admit this was a random thought that just now occured to me, and I felt compelled to post it.

It seems to me that many Many more people are suffering from depression, and not just mild forms either. It is hitting closer and closer to home and I feel absolutely helpless about it. SOOO - here is my thought: All here know how theraputic and relaxing and happy chickens make us. And gardeners feel the same way. As do those who work closely with animals. SOOO - what if there was a hobby farm that had a variety of animals(say a few of each - mini horses, goats, sheep, maybe pigs, chickens, etc) and also a really large garden that those who are suffering from anxiety/depression could go to daily or weekly or whatever to help heal themselves? I know that depression is not something you just 'get over' - but they could come and work with the animals, work the land, clean and care for the farm, etc.??? Would that help these ones who are in such a state?

What do all of you think about this? It might be something worthwhile to pursue I think.

2. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Sequin, that is an excellent idea.

I am in the Uk and thinking the same way.

It is not just good for those suffering from depression, but there is a lot of work being done here with young people who are having behaviour problems and also in prisons. Animals have a wonderful effect on people, and being close to the earth is so therapeutic.

I know since I have had my chickens and I get out in the garden, no matter what the weather is like I really feel good by the end of the day. I get a lot of pain from arthritis but being more active actually helps a lot.
    I love watching the antics of my girls playing, and listening to their chatter.

I am sure you could do something really good there with your idea.

Good thinking,

Jena.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wow... I can see "therapy" farms/ bed & breakfasts popping up all over soon! Great idea... wonder if insurance would cover the cost?

4. Sequin

May 20, 2008
    I think this is something I really need to look into. Maybe I should contact some health care professionals and get their thoughts/opinions on the matter? Hmmm.... *goes off deep in thought*

Thanks soo much for your input and all, I really appreciate it!!! [​IMG]

5. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    They have some thing similar to this in Jackson, Ohio. The juvenile judge started a program for the kids..they had to work in a garden. I am a firm believer in work being good for the mind, body and soul. I think you have a great idea. Let us all know if you go forward with this. DJ Good Luck

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    We have often joked about offering weekend package and letting city slickers come out here and do a weekend full of heavy chores in exchange for fresh air and some good meals.

7. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    Quote:WHAT MORE COULD A CITY SLICKER ASK FOR!! i DON' BELIEVE THEY COULD KEEP UP WITH US!!! [​IMG] JUST KIDDING!

8. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    It is a fantastic idea and well worth pursueing, perhaps also get in touch with sponsors etc etc who could help you develop the idea further. Good for you and keep us all posted!

9. Sequin

May 20, 2008
    Thanks so much guys for your support, I really appreciate it! I have two close friends who are really going through major ... lets say 'things' ... in their lives. I really want to reach out to them and help them see the positive side of life like they used to. So I discussed this with my husband, and we are going to pursue this further on a small level at first. I will invite these friends to come work with me, daily if they are willing and able. They will help with 'socializing' the chicks when they arrive and all the care as well, preparing the garden for spring, making home baked bread and goodies they can take home to their families, etc. etc. etc. Hubby wasn't super excited about having more animals at this point, but I would Love getting either goats(so we can milk them) and/or a couple sheep. Also, daily walks with the dogs along the country roads etc. We will also do inside crafts and hobbies. Everything we don't use(like the bread or goodies - which are perishable), or keep, we will tuck away for selling at our summer weekend "store" aka veggie stand. OR - there is also a veggie stand up the road that we could take our goods to, and maybe sell there(it is our neighbors stand). I will let you know how it works out. I also plan on speaking with some local therapists to get their view and suggestions on this plan. I also appreciate everyones thoughts and suggestions as well. THANK YOU!!!! I will keep you posted and updated as this idea moves along... [​IMG]

10. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    If you check the net you will find farm stay retreats already exist.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by