therapydoglady

Discussion in 'Geese' started by therapydoglady, Apr 3, 2012.

1. therapydoglady

therapydoglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Kermit, TX
    I have just ordered a pair of Sebastapol geese (due to arrive Thrusday), and have been trying to educate myself on the breed. I have always loved geese, for their intelligence, grace, watchdog abilities, etc. etc. etc. I have always had African Grays and/or Toulouse, and have one pair that are approaching 20 years old. Thought something different would be nice. However, I read that to produce frizzles, you should breed the frizzle gene with a "flat breasted" goose. Now my question is: Do the Sebs come in both varieties? Or are they thinking one should cross with another breed of white goose? The article does not explaine either question. If crossing, do you breed back to the frizzle? And wouldn't that dilute the gene pool? I have paid well over a hundred dollars for these goslings, and only ordered the one pair. Should I have ordered differently? If hatcheries are going to sell them, you would think they'd have some more information on them.....

Any and all information would be welcome.

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Sebbies are curled not frizzled, that must be an older article to still be referencing frizzle.

Yes Sebastopols come come smooth breasted and curly breasted both. They are ONLY recognized by the APA in white curly though at this time. It is tought that by breeding smooth x curly it will help reduce twisted wing tip in off spring. Both smooth and curly, white and buff colors are recognized in England.

Sebastopols are a very calm breed of goose and can be easily bullied by other breeds of geese. It is next to keep them separated to prevent this. They are not insulated against wind, snow, and rain like other geese and require shelter to protect them from such.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Hatcheries do not sell top quality Sebastopols, you may or may not end up with a pair worth breeding. They could very well be fine pet quality geese, but may lack that super full loaded with curls look you see in photos. When buying a pair in hopes of breeding it best to stay away from hatcheries as they typically sell more pet quality than a tying else. This is very true with Sebastopols as the hatcheries run pasture breeding, and not pick and pair the geese and ganders based on who best compliments the other for potential off spring.

4. therapydoglady

therapydoglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Kermit, TX
    Thank you for your input. I hope my geese are healthy and happy when they get here. Yes, the pictures they showed depicted beautiful birds, and I am guilty of an "impulse buy." I actually do not plan to raise them, per se, but do not want to bring unhealthy, or genetically inferior/sickly birds into the world if I do let them set eggs. Mostly, I gather goose eggs when I gather chicken eggs. One goose egg makes a lovely omlete! My pond is fenced and cross-fenced through the pond so the Toulouse (2 pair) and the African Grays (2 pair - one pair almost 20) and a variety ducks (abandoned easter ducks brough to me by Animal Control each year) All have access to the pond, but are separated. I have 25% currently un-used,and so, the Sebs were ordered. Each quarter has about 1/4 acre of grazing that I re-seed as needed. The geese are by far my favorite barnyard fowl. They are so smart! My old female African Gray, comes and sits on my feet when I sit in the lawn chair to watch and play with them...her mate, well, I threaten him with being the star attraction of a Goose Dinner often!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by