There any way to get them to stop nibbling??

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Mmmaddie13, May 19, 2011.

1. Mmmaddie13

Mmmaddie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    My 6 week old tufted buff, Oscar, likes to hang out with me inside, but he CONSTANTLY nibbles on my clothes, jewelry, hands, the carpet, electrical cords, everything. Now we got him a diaper so he could be inside, but he won't leave it alone, is there a way to break him of the habit?
    Might I add when he gets my clothes or hands, it hurts! He's not doing it in an aggressive way, just a habit I think.

Any help will be appreciated, thank you.

2. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Um . . . nope [​IMG] BUT, you can give him better things to nibble on that are safe and hold up to nibbling. I have a two year old gander who as a gosling nibbled my hair for HOURS on end. I still can't bend over in the yard with out him running up to chew my hair.

They nibble less as they age, but right now he's exploring everything with the only thing he can explore with.

I saw a goose toy that was a super thick rubber band substance that you could hang on a fence, and the goose could nibble and pull safely without it coming apart.

3. Mmmaddie13

Mmmaddie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    Thanks! [​IMG] I'll make a run to the pet store and see what I can find.

4. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    Nope. Nibbling is what they do. It may lessen with age but don't count on it. Sounds like he's preening you, a sign of affection.

5. pinkyglory123

pinkyglory123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    [​IMG] I took the six 2-3 week old goslings outside today to graze and mostly they hung around me and nibbled. I love it.

6. Serina81

Serina81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Lucerne Valley, CA
    I constantly push their head away and tell them no. Does it work? I'm still pushing their head away and telling them no...

7. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    Quote:[​IMG]
    if that works..... you will be famously known forever after as " THE GOOSE WHISPERER"

8. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    My female Pilgrim gosling is one week old tonight. And it already hurts quite a bit.

This is going to be long childhood.

9. Balbinka

Balbinka Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    Yes! You can actually teach them not to nibble.

I taught Balbinka not to nibble on skin or hair, but I allow her to nibble on clothing.

When she got my skin, I squealed "No skin!" and pushed her away momentarily. If she bit my skin hard, I shouted "NO SKIN!" and flicked her beak (not too hard).
    That seemed to do the trick. Remember, every time you reprimand a goose, show it what it should be doing immediately after. For nibbling, I gave Balbinka some grass and parrot toys right after to show her that she could bite.

10. Serina81

Serina81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Lucerne Valley, CA
    That's basically what I did. They still nibble, but it doesn't hurt. Balbinka, you have to post pics of your indoor goose lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by