There are more skunks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by smalltowngal, Jul 11, 2010.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    So, DH was out working on expanding the run and saw three more skunks. He tried to get the gun but they were gone before he got back. I'm scared to lock the chickens up at night now and my DH do it. I narrowly escaped getting sprayed last time and I really don't want them to be successful at getting me next time. [​IMG]

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Trap them. When you set your trap cover it except for the door with a old blanket . When you catch it slide the blanket over the door (staying out of sight of course) When the entire trap is covered THEY WILL NOT SPRAY. You can pick up the trap and load it up and take them off . Or we killed them. The tricky part is letting them out of the trap. Stay out of their sight,open the door when they leave the trap, shoot them. They will spray then. Make sure they are far enough away when you shoot. This is how we took care of the skunks on the Prison grounds. We couldn't have weapons inside the perimeter fence. We never got sprayed I remember about 20 or so skunks. Won't spray your truck bed either. The trick is staying out of their sight.

Micah

3. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Skunks eat eggs. THey are also nomadic. I have chosen to let my skunk eat eggs if he can find them and then let him wander off when he will. He must be a smart bugger because he does not eat the eggs I have for him in the trap! Terri O

4. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I am living in fear of the skunks, too. We know they are around here periodically. I have seen them along the edge of the canyon, maybe 200 feet away, and occasionally during the day and at night, we smell them. The neighbor's dog cornered one under an azalea some months ago, and both dog and neighbor got sprayed heavily. It went in all the car vents nearby. We are in a very suburban area, so no shooting, and I would be afraid to trap them myself. Maybe we will hire someone. I get worried that I will be sprayed on the way to the coop at night or that the dogs will get sprayed.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Dora'smom :

I am living in fear of the skunks, too. We know they are around here periodically. I have seen them along the edge of the canyon, maybe 200 feet away, and occasionally during the day and at night, we smell them. The neighbor's dog cornered one under an azalea some months ago, and both dog and neighbor got sprayed heavily. It went in all the car vents nearby. We are in a very suburban area, so no shooting, and I would be afraid to trap them myself. Maybe we will hire someone. I get worried that I will be sprayed on the way to the coop at night or that the dogs will get sprayed.

I have a 2 and 3 year old that I'm most concerned about. I would not be happy being sprayed but that is much better than one of my kids getting bitten. I know they're high risk for carrying rabies which has me most concerned. I don't want them going after my chickens but quite honestly, the birds are what I'm least concerned about. [​IMG] Also, we keep on seeing them during the day and I thought skunks usually come out at night.​

6. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

They all have babies right now and are trying to eat enough food so they can feed them. When the babies are grown they will move on...

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:try cheetos or donuts

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by