There are some things about chickens I don't tell my city friends

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Noble Rooster, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Noble Rooster

Noble Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    NY
    So I've been having a bit of a deer mouse problem in and around my barn, and a few of the little stinkers had taken to running over the top of my coop, leaving poop everywhere, and occasionally raiding inside the coop for food. One morning as I was cleaning up, I removed the droppings tray and found a terrified mouse, hiding there because of the 5 dinosaurs whose home he had violated. I had never seen my girls interact with a mouse before and wasn't sure if they would try to go for it, as they have done with moles and frogs, or just freak out. Well, a game of mouse keepaway began and ended with one girl grabbing it, shaking it like a dog and breaking its neck. Then they all ran back into the coop clucking excitedly but completely ignored the mouse. That was fine, I was just glad they nailed one of the buggers.

Well, the one who dealt the death blow seems to have gotten a taste for it, as this morning she grabbed one that a hawk dropped (how's that for justice? [​IMG]). They all played keepaway again but she ended up with the prize and proudly ran into the barn to ... eat it. It was a fairly sizable mouse and out of morbid curiosity I wanted to see what she would do with it. I arrived just in time to see only its tail disappearing down her throat. [​IMG] [​IMG] When I put everyone back inside later I threw in some extra grit, figuring she'd probably need it.

When I was a kid I wanted a pet dinosaur. Seems I got my wish. [​IMG] What makes it funnier is that this hen is an absolutely beautiful, feminine, dainty princess, and the biggest cuddlebug ever. But if you're a mouse, don't mess with her!!

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Great story!! Who needs barn cats when your girls eat the mice?

3. 53convert

53convert Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Central Oklahoma
    yerp, and snakes too

4. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    Great story! Love it!

5. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Snakes? I was about to post elsewhere... but...

The baby copperheads are hatching in my house. (Yes - I said in. The cats take care of them if they dare to be seen.) I am new to chickens, so I am wondering, if the chickens (or ducks) catch and eat these snakes, is there any harm?

6. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I found a dead mouse in the coop two days ago-it didn't seem to have been dead that long. Earlier I had been sitting outside watching my chickens and I noticed every so often one would go up the ramp-look in the coop, but not go in. I thought at the time they were just changing their mind-but I think they were afraid of the dead mouse. [​IMG] I think your chickens are braver than mine. [​IMG]

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    My prissy cuckoo marans ate a toad....whole and live. She went to roost and when I went in to check on them I saw her crop move....jump actually. I thought to myself....That's odd. THen I realized...wait a minute...Chickens don't HICCUP! Ewwwwww. I had to leave.

8. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    We don't have a cat anymore, and are having a mouse problem in the house. I thought about turning one into a "house roo" to take care of the mouse problem! [​IMG]

9. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Gulp!!! [​IMG]

10. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    My friend has hens. His beagle dug up a nest of mice. It was a madhouse. The beagles baying brought the hens in and the mice did not have a chance! He tried taking pics and out of 40 he only got 2 clear shots. LOL. My hens go after small birds and argue with Mocking Birds. I hope that my cats keep the mice away. I would rather hens whos eggs I eat did not have rodent for lunch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by