There are varying levels of my countryness....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mehpenn, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Mehpenn

Mehpenn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Gastonia, NC
    While you'd think farm living is farm living, there are different types of farm living.

For example. I grew up on a farm, a horse farm. And while we grew our own fruits and vegetables and canned to get through the winter, we did not raise our own meat, dairy, eggs, etc. We grew horses and produce. I can raise a garden and feed my family fresh or canned veggies all year round and can ride a horse as a means of transportation, like second nature. But as far as the "other" side of farm life, the meat cattle, and pigs and chickens... never been exposed to that. Our meat came from the butcher or the grocery store.
    Now, my grandpa did have chickens, he took in injured Game roosters from fighting rings, and the occasional wayward hen... but we never ate the eggs the hens produced. I don't know why... maybe because my grandma was scared of the chickens? Who knows, really.

DH is the opposite. He was raised on a farm where they grew and sold corn, soybeans, various wheats and hays and cotton. They raised livestock to get the family plenty of meat, but did not raise produce. They had cows, pigs and chickens, would hunt for deer, pheasant and squirrel. Rarely did DH eat store bought meat or dairy products. Even the butter was home-made.
    But on the flip side, before DH met me, he'd never been on the back of a horse.

So, now that you know our history, sorta, you'll understand when I say I've never had a real, fresh egg before. All my eggs have come from the grocery store, up to this point. DH picks on me "How can you call yourself a country girl if you don't eat fresh eggs?" My reply "How can you call yourself a farm boy if you can't ride a horse?"

Anyway, so the DH and I were so excited when I started finding eggs our hens were laying. But I must admit, I did have some nervousness about eating them... DH didn't, he was chomping at the bit.
    Too bad for him, he doesn't cook and so he usually eats oatmeal for breakfast. (I've offered to get up and cook him breakfast but he'd just as soon let me sleep and eat oatmeal. So, oh well.)

I've had two fresh eggs in the fridge for a couple days, got another one this morning. So when I went to make my breakfast, I got out a fresh egg.

Thought about it, as the nerves took over... what if it makes me sick? What if it tastes funky? Ya know?

So, I put it back, got an egg out of the grocery store carton.... put that egg back, got back out the fresh egg again.... sucked it up and cracked that little sucker open, over my hot pan of bacon grease.......

.... the yolk was darker than I'm used to, really really yellow, almost an orangish tint to it. Hmmmm.... so now I'm thinking, it MUST be bad. But it smells good..... and fried up like a normal egg.

I dished my fried egg onto my plate with my bacon, and rice (yes, I like to eat rice with my breakfast)... and I inspected my egg. Looked normal, aside from being darker, smelled normal, like any other fried egg....

I took a small bite. Hmmm.... tasted normal. But that was a really small bite. So I took a bigger bite.

Turns out that fresh eggs from my hens, in my back yard, taste like.... well.... eggs.

Who woulda thunk it?

LOL

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    [​IMG]

But that darker yolk means it was tons better for you than some old bleached grocery store egg, AND it came from a happy hen. Double win!

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:Yep. love the darker yolks!

4. Mehpenn

Mehpenn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Gastonia, NC
    My mom won't eat fresh eggs because of the dark yolks. The thought of eating one turns her stomach... but she eats store bought eggs with no problem.
    I guess that's where my reservations came from.
    Glad I was able to suck it up and ended up enjoying my egg!

5. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:Lol, love it. Very well told too!

6. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2008
    [​IMG]

Love your post Mehpenn!

7. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    Yeah, to eating good ol' farm raised eggs. I do have a small confession to make. . . . .please don't judge me all you chicken people out there, BUT I wont eat my silkie eggs! There I said it, its in writing. That is one part of the 12 step program isn't it? Admitting your problem? I hold those tiny eggs in my hand and then I hoard them! Nope, can't eat them. They might grow into magnificent beauties!

8. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Quote:My husband initially had an aversion to our fresh eggs because, growing up, he saw his grandmother go into the chicken coop every Sunday to procure dinner and then heard a terrible ruckus and saw her come out bleeding. What I did was to make him scrambled eggs with a little milk in it to dilute that wonderful orange color - I slowly used less and less milk and now he loves the dark yolks. I am so glad you were able to egg one of the eggs your hens worked so hard to lay! [​IMG]

9. dantodd

dantodd Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    San Carlos, CA
    Every time we find an egg in the nesting box my 4 year old son wants to eat it right away. I haven't had real fresh eggs before this week when our girls started laying. To me they do taste much richer than store bought eggs, I'm not sure if it is the firmer albumen or all the goodies the girls get between my treats and the fact that they free range.

If your husband has left over oatmeal in the morning the girls LOVE a little warm oatmeal on a cool morning.

You also left out a 3rd kind of farming. My grandfather grew up (as did most of my ancestors before him) as a subsistence farmer. Farm or starve. It's funny when grandparents on both sides were kids they all had fresh eggs, being able to buy food and not having to raise it themselves was a sign of affluence. My how times have changed.

10. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Thanks for posting your honest feelings. I felt the same way too, even though I knew the eggs would be delicious. It makes me realize how divorced we are from where our food comes from. Most people know nothing about what they are really eating. I have celiac disease, and when I tell people I can't eat wheat, barley or rye, they ask me if I can eat potatoes! It's scary that most Americans don't really know what they are eating!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by