There better be chicks in there

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by packmomma, Sep 25, 2011.

1. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    Ok this is just my little rant. Man There better be chicks in these eggs! I am going nuts wanting them to hatch already. It is day 7, I candled and saw nothing..each egg seemed to look different. I have brown and green eggs. I cant see anything and its driving me nuts. This is my second candling. I guess I will just have to be patient and wait about 10 more days then see..but man there better be something in at least one of these 13 eggs to make it worth waiting for!!

2. chickenguru

chickenguru Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Kentwood La.
    I sometimes have trouble candling the green eggs early on.
    Good luck and hope you have a good hatch.

3. mrs_ed

mrs_ed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Phx, AZ
    Candling colored aggs is hard, specially dark marans eggs, but best thing it just let them cook! The wait is the worst!

4. packmomma

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    I dont know what I was thinking trying to set eggs. I just cannot stand the wait! [​IMG] I think honestly that most are not fertile but I'm not giving up hope yet. I'm waiting till one stinks or its day 15 or so to look again...I think I"m waiting that long... [​IMG] I'm so mad because my hens never have gone broody..I know which one I'd pick if I wanted to try..but my sister calls yesterday saying her hen is setting on eggs right now [​IMG] Seriously! I told her let her sit and if she doesnt want the chicks I'll take them [​IMG]

5. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Be patient, my first incubator set I could see NOTHING on any of the eggs, so I just left them be and checked the smell regularly in the incubator. All but a few hatched! I know it is hard to be patient though, it helps to throw a white or bantam egg in there so you can candle and see at least one of your chicks growing!

6. packmomma

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    The only white eggs at my place are of a silkie. I have one...and the daddy would be a GLW roo. I'm afraid the chick would be too big for the little egg shell and not survive. I want to try it but I dont want to knowingly kill a poor chick because it didnt have enough room to grow and took after daddy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by