There has been a disease outbreak in my flock. HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickooster, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Chickooster

Chickooster Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2017
    Hello im new to BYC and i have had one of my silkie's die of a mysterious disease. She wasnt really active when she got the disease, then it got worse. One day I found her not moving in the corner of the coop. We quarantined her and the next day she died : ( . I have a theory that a rat got her sick. Recently I have killed a rat that came to the coop at night. A few days later, One of my other silkies got the same symptoms my dead silkie had. I am scared for the health of my flock and i thank everyone who helps. thank you.

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Have you tried antibiotics?

3. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Sorry about your hens. Rats are vectors for many diseases, so - I suggest cleaning out the coop thoroughly (they pee everywhere), check the food supply - was it contaminated? If any doubt, toss and buy new. Scrub drinkers and feeders - and now the bad news...where there is one rat there are many more. 'Tom cat' puts out a covered bait station that only vermin can access. You have to be patient tho' - once you place it leave it be. Rats are neophobes and won't touch anything 'new'....patience. You really need to rat proof your coop, where a rat can get in a weasel can too and you really don't want that to happen. [​IMG]
    As for the remaining hens - supportive therapy with vitamin/electrolyte powder to the water for a few days. They would also benefit from a little extra protein - like a teaspoon of cat food each for a couple of days. Unless you can see a rat bite, in which case antibiotics may be needed..
    Keep us posted,

4. Chickooster

Mar 7, 2017
    Thank you very much [​IMG] . I will keep you updated.

5. Chickooster

Mar 7, 2017
    Update: The sick chicken has sadly passed away[​IMG]. On the brighter news, one of my silkies have become broody!

6. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Sorry to hear about your hen, but good news with your broody! Did you catch any rats? If you are going to have chicks, be very cautious - rats will eat them.. [​IMG]

7. Chickooster

Mar 7, 2017
    Thank you. I havent seen any rats recently, but i will still remain cautious. I forgot to add that there are two chickens broody, but they live in separate coops. The other broody is a barred rock and she has three eggs. Just for an experiment, I put a fairy egg under her even though I know its probably not going to hatch. The silkie has 7 eggs. The thing im irritated about is that the other chickens in the silkie coop lay in the same box despite me putting a new one with a fake egg. I cant separate the chicken either because we have no place to put her.

8. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    They'll figure it out, they usually do [​IMG]

9. Chickooster

Mar 7, 2017
    Ok [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by