There has to be an easier way...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by skya328, Jan 12, 2009.

1. skya328

skya328 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    What's the easiest way to catch a chicken?!?! DH and I could entertain ourselves (and probably the neighbors, too) trying to catch them! Tonight when I got home the young roos were free ranging. I decided that I wanted to hold one. Well, lets hope that the neighbors weren't having an evening cocktail in their backyards, because I would have been the entertainment! I went around and around and around the tractor. Finally I caught one. We hung out for a bit, talked about his day, then I let him go. I wanted to catch one of his brothers, so round & round I went, again! I finally gave up.
    I thought chickens were supposed to be stupid? They sure out-smarted me tonight!!! [​IMG]

Here are a couple pictures of the kids from yesterday.

This is "Cheeks"
    [​IMG]

What's up, chicken butt?
    [​IMG]

Me and "Roo"
    [​IMG]

Me with "Roo" and "Cheeks"
    [​IMG]

One of the sweet little girls
    [​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I want my hair the color of that chicken in the sun!

P.S. You are gorgeous!

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Wait till they go to roost and then go pick them up...very easily done when they are roosting. Cuddle. coo and pet them all you want. then bring them treats each day. Mine won't stay out of my plate if I go sit at the picnic table..they will even eat out of my hand...they do anything for treats. [​IMG] of course I don't eat at the picnic table during this time of year [​IMG]

4. skya328

Nov 10, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Quote:Thank you! My aunt said she's going to take a picture of my boys with her next time she gets her hair done! If she weren't so far away (I'm in TX she's in CA) I'd take the bird with me to her appointment!

I might have to get about 30 more hens just so that I can keep all 3 boys. [​IMG] Quite an addiction this has become...

5. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

The easiest way is at night when they are roosting, but during the day a fish landing net can come in real handy. Any long stick or broom can also be used to herd them into a corner if a net is not available.
    Chasing a chicken in a large open space is great exercise for you though.

6. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    lmfao my chickens do the sexy dance and submit to us so i just stick my hand on her back, and let her relax her wings.

7. FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Efland, NC
    But they're so much fun to chase! And such good exercise! [​IMG]

8. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

My method is to sneak up slowly, acting disinterested, and when I am close enough grab them quickly around their wings and cuddle them close to me in one fluid motion. This is much easier with my two girls that squat for me if I so much as glance at them [​IMG] [​IMG] it almost feels like cheating.

If that doesn't work I reccommend recording yourself trying and posting it to at least entertain us as well as your neighbors. After a good rain would be your best bet for maximum entertainment value.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. skya328

Nov 10, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] I might just have to do this!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by