There HAS to be something in the water....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickenaddict, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    This is the first winter I have had this many broody hens since I have had chickens. First it was a cochin hen who had just got done raising chicks until they were about 3 months old, she hadn't even started laying again and she was back on a nest 1 week after her chicks were gone. Then it was ducky the blue silkie who hasn't started laying yet, and ginger who also had a clutch laid eggs for about 1 week then was broody again, the seramas are pretty much all broody and now the other cochins are thinking it's spring!!!! This year we are keeping them in the garage where we built a coop. The coop part is heated but the rest of the garage (their winter run so to speak) isn't heated and gets down to about 20 degrees when its subzero outdoors. AM I making them a bit tooo comfy or what? Anyone else out there having this problem too? Now come spring when I want them to be broody they will not cooperate. Silly girls....

2. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    oh wow! that is problem! I hope someone on here can help you b/c I have no idea!

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Normally I would embrace a broody hen but when it's too cold to hatch and I am working on the DLM in the garage, the broody poops are getting a bit out of control and ruining the plan YUCKYYYY!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by