There Hatching?? need help...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lizziespeeps, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Lizziespeeps

Lizziespeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    Louisiana
    [​IMG]0ne started last night, so i left it,, this morning basically no change so i started to help. (i know carefully with water and napkin,tweezers. etc)
    SLW started
    BLRW- nothing
    SS- nothing
    how long can this take for the ones that already started to hatch,, those 3 are moving and peeping fairly loudly.
    I'm helping a lil more every hour

27 in bator, candled during the process, 4 were infertile,followed BYC hatch calendar, last night and today is hatch day

any info would help..

2. 1 lucky dad

1 lucky dad Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    West Farmington,ohio
    Is your humidity up? Everytime I fill the pans and raise the humidty back up they would finish hatching a lot easier. Your humidity needs to be around 80.

3. Lizziespeeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Louisiana
    sight glasses have condensate on them but ill add more right now

4. Lizziespeeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Louisiana
    yeah i think its to dry just added 2 cups warm h2o, inner membrane seems dry also touched it with warm damp napkin

12:45 update
    another SLW pip thru and 1 Silver Sussex also

5. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    Congrats!! [​IMG]

It can take 24 hours from pip to hatch.!!! I would try to refrain from opening the incubator too much. You will lose all your humidity and do them more harm than good. I know it is hard and I know you want to help, but I would let them be and try and hatch on their own.

Good Luck!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Lizziespeeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Louisiana
    i know i need to chill out, it's like my kids , i will do anything to insure there survival

7. smchickfarm

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    I know, I have done the same thing. Just have to sit on those hands and be patient [​IMG]

8. Lizziespeeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Louisiana
    only thing is the one in the back will make 24 hrs that it pip thru tonight around 6pm, how long can it stay like that

9. smchickfarm

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    well, it depends. I have actually had a couple take longer than 24 hours. Just watch it and then decide if you need to help it a little. Just be careful if you do open the incubator. Spritz some water in there when you open it, that will help keep the humidity up. Do you have any others that have pipped???

10. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you got in to big a hurry to help. They can stay pipped for a long time before they zip, I've had them pip and take 36 hrs to start zipping. During this time they are absorbing the yolk.
    By removing the top of the shell like you have done will make them start drying in the egg. They will basically get super glued inside the egg, no matter what your humidity is at with that much of the egg opened they start drying. If you help them the rest of the way they might not have the yolk absorbed yet and most times die.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by