There is a cock fight going on in my backyard!!! What should I do?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by M To The Maxx, Nov 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    It is between the rooster next door and Bucky. This rooster came over to our property and picked the fight with Bucky. We are letting our chickens free range and our neighbor is doing the same. What should I do? I am thinking letting nature do what it has to do and let them fight. This rooster has beat up our hens before Bucky came along so I have a gruge against the roo next door so I want Bucky to kick his butt though! What should I do? What would you do?

2. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Well, our baby Roo is trying to fight his dad, maybe to death. So we locked him up in the coop. We'll have to keep him overnight in our basement. He's totally focused on fighting his dad, and we had to seperate him because his dad was losing. Maybe there's a hormonal "thing" going on at this time of year? We're thinking we need to find a new home for our beloved baby Roo, but not sure how to do it.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, I'd break it up. Gosh, injury and potential for disease, all sort of ways this can go wrong! Sounds like freeranging is out unless you can fence in your flock or the neighbor will. That is just not a good situation.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Maxx, I think I would be calling the neighbor to come retrieve his rooster.
    Sounds like the neighbor's rooster is the aggressor and that the neighbor's problem to deal with.
    Hope your roo is okay.

5. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    UPDATE:
    Well I went outside to breal up the fight and I saw that the rooster next store was gone and Bucky was under the eggbox. I went to check Bucky's injuries and I found this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bucky is eating and drinking. He is acting like himself so I think he will be okay. We are putting Neosporin on his comb and wattle to prevent infection and we washed his comb first with just water. He also has blood and a couple cuts on his legs. As for the other rooster he has blood stains all over his body. Bucky really loves his girls.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Ah, poor Bucky! [​IMG]
    Take good care of those wounds.

7. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Are you and your neighbor friends? If so have a sit down and talk things out. If not.....well lets just say if my neighbors rooster came onto my property....I'm having rooster for dinner!!!

8. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:He is a close friend. They are going to eat him soon anyways. They bought him a few months ago for dinner.

9. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Quote:He is a close friend. They are going to eat him soon anyways. They bought him a few months ago for dinner.

Tell him you would be happy to help with the processing.

10. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL

Tell him you would be happy to help with the processing.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by