1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

There is a first time for everything

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pats Poultry, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Pats Poultry

Pats Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2016
    Colorful Colorado
    I was pleasantly surprised this morning as I went out to let my 3 10week old chicks out of the coop and discovered that they were on the roost last night for the first time and the poop board works like a charm. I would have thought since it is getting down in the high teens to low twenties at night they would have been huddled in the shavings for a while longer. With my newly acquired kitty litter scooper I was smiling with the task ahead. It takes way less time to scoop out the poop in the PDZ than hand sifting thru all of the pine shavings that I was doing for the last two weeks, mind you my coop is only 4X4. I don't know who was more excited, me or the chicks, Probably me. Cant wait for the next big mile stone what ever that may be.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Compost????

3. Pats Poultry

Pats Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2016
    Colorful Colorado
    I took all of it and thru it the deep litter I am trying to get started in their run. Hopefully that is what I am supposed to do with it.

4. Tillicans

Tillicans Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I have their DL in the run as I only have 2 chickens, I'm happier to scoop out the poop from under the roost daily, I spray eucalyptus oil diluted in there and it smells great. I put it in the compost rather than add it to the run. They free range for about 3-4 hours and they want to go back into their coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by