There is a mouse living in a burrow he/she dug inside my chicken coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Grorres5576chicken, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Grorres5576chicken

Grorres5576chicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2011
    What can I do, never had this prob before, I have an outdoor cat, but she sleeps inside at night, which is when the mouse is active, I'm worried he/she will breed, and he/she will if I don't stop this now
    Any help would be appreciated

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Set a mouse trap beside the hole and put an upside down box over it to keep the birds away.
    If you've seen ONE mouse, there are probably at least 10 mice, so keep resetting the trap even after you catch one

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  3. poultrified

poultrified Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2012
    I've noticed this same sort of thing happen to me. Something digs under the coop and do matter what I do to fill up the "hole" with dirt/rocks, etc.. it's dug out again the next morning! I've made a deeper trench and put wood boards bu it dug under that too.My husband says it's a big pack rat- it seems bigger than a mouse by the size of the hole.. I tried setting up a small trap next to the entry hole.. didnt work. It seems as though it burrows its way into the coop to get the chicken feed. I've kinda let it slide since it hasnt hurt them and they dont seem to mind considering it comes to get it's meal at night. I've got a mountain lion and bobcat problem that's bigger! perhaps you could try a sonic repellant ? I always wondered about those if they work but I havent tried them.

4. ernndbrtt

ernndbrtt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    We had a mice when we first put our chicks outside when they were about 3-1/2 months old. We tried traps with no luck. About 2 weeks ago, chicks now 5-1/2 months old, my wife caught two of our girls running around with a mouse each in their beaks ;)) We haven't seen any mice since. That is not to say that I believe the mice are all gone, but, they stay out of sight probably til dark.

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Snap trap outside the hole,and a glue trap IN the hole.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by