There is a peacock in my yard

Rhandi74

Songster
5 Years
Mar 31, 2014
East TN
I believe this is a peacock my yard. Should I try to catch him and find his owner! If so how can I do this?

Last edited:
He might be wandering for a mate. I had a peacock run away years ago. It was my first peacock and he always left people's yards before I could get there and catch him. Your best bet would be to feed him if he comes back and lure him into a garage or some enclosed space and close him in there and search for an owner. If he doesn't come back you could always just let people in the area know that if anyone is missing a peacock that you saw it. When I had to catch my peahen that ran away (she was trying to follow that peacock that ran off) we used a fish landing net to net her and then we put her in a dog box and brought her home and penned her. It would be hard to net a peacock in full plumage though so I would say just lure him somewhere if you want to find the owner.

I did feed him flock feeder but he seemed to know that a storm was approaching and took cover in the woods. If he comes for more food I will try to lure him but he seemed happy free ranging and did eat some flock feeder but he wasn't real impressed with it. I will try to ask around. Can a peacock cover a lot of ground in a day? I know a farmer up the road who may know who keeps peacocks so I'll ask him.

I think peacocks can really cover some ground quickly. I would definitely ask that farmer, but some people if they have a peacock run away and they already have several they will just let you keep the bird. I talked to one large peafowl breeder and he told me if people call him saying they have a peacock, he asks them if it has a green neck (Green peafowl) and if it doesn't then he says they can keep it. Maybe he will stick around in your area?

I would also try asking any local feed stores. I know that I have had feed store people ask me about what kind of birds I am getting feed for, so they will hopefully know who has peafowl.

He was in the road this morning and gone before I could get out there. He probably will try to find a friendlier place as my LGD Great Pyrenees think he is a predator. They can not get him but they would like to. They don't hurt the chickens but I can see where they may think he is a threat to the chickens.

This all sounds just like what my runaway peacock did. Some people said they fed him a bit and he roosted in a tree in one backyard then left the next day. He is definitely determined to find a mate. I hope he finds one!

I don't know if you have wild peas where you live... he could be wild. We have wild peas in my neighborhood, 2 separate places/families/groups a few miles apart.

I don't know either. We have been here about 10 months and I have never seen them before. My property backs up to the woods and I would probably never see them in there though. I also have a very loud family and my LGD's who don't like any predators on our property. I have never seen any predators on my property but I know they are around

He was in the road this morning and gone before I could get out there. He probably will try to find a friendlier place as my LGD Great Pyrenees think he is a predator. They can not get him but they would like to. They don't hurt the chickens but I can see where they may think he is a threat to the chickens.
Good dogs i love this breed very much.

Back
Top Bottom