There is nothing more fun than....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RocketChick, Apr 28, 2009.

1. RocketChick

RocketChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    cleaning out the brooder. xP

I have two ducklings and two chicks in a nice big homemade brooder(they get along VERY well, I might add)

But they are a POOP FACTORY. And they eat and drink a lot.[​IMG]
    Haha but I love them. [​IMG]

Oh! Just wondering...this made me think of the near future when they will free range in my backyard(they will be locked into a coop at night) When they poop on the grass..do you just leave it there? Is it even really possible to clean? Or does it just go away (biodegrade or whatever) Will I be stuck with grass that we will have to be careful where we step permanently? [​IMG] I dont mind I'm just curious.

2. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Aint cleaning the brooder fun!! Yeah!
    I dont know of any way to pick it all up from the yard.
    Mine have gotten the run down to bare dirt now, But I let them free range everyday in the evening for a couple of hours, I have not seen any kind of damage from that at all though.
    I figured its just fertilizer be it a little hot.
    Guess you all will have to wear sandals when your outside!

3. Oh! Just wondering...this made me think of the near future when they will free range in my backyard(they will be locked into a coop at night) When they poop on the grass..do you just leave it there? Is it even really possible to clean? Or does it just go away (biodegrade or whatever) Will I be stuck with grass that we will have to be careful where we step permanently? I dont mind I'm just curious

Most of it instantly melts when you hit it with a spray of water from the hose, great fertilizer! I do this once a day when I change their water, if the weather is nice enough and I feel like it.
    I no longer consider our backyard to have "barefoot" grass. Anymore I have a muck boots or crocks (a sort of sandle/shoe) set aside just for the backyard.​

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I hit the yard with the hose too. It just disappears. I still barefoot it. I just step more carefully...LOL

5. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Boy....Do I know all about the muck boots!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by