There is NOTHING worse than...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Sep 24, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    a coop full of biddies all molting at the same time. Nobody was happy with their roost mate and the bickering was endless. [​IMG]
    DH said he could hear me scolding them all the way up to the house. I finally gave up, shut the door, and left them to sort it out.
    I've had times when my whole body felt like a pincushion too, but I didn't go round shoving and biting everyone around me. [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    This made me laugh -- like you actually expect them to be as civilized as you are -- I don't actually know you, but I know you better than that --

Mine are the same at present, and there are feathers everywhere. Fortunately, none look bad enough to enter Nifty's contest.

3. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] Chickem PMS.

4. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Oh thats [​IMG].... I've got alot of molting grouchies too.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They are miserable when they are full of quills and hate to be touched, even the most friendly ones. Gosh, last year when Panda molted, sweet friendly Panda, if you looked at her, she'd screech and run around the coop like she was in a blender to keep from being picked up! [​IMG]

6. Elena712

Elena712 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    On A Farm
    We've got molting screechies at AGriscience class XD only 11/15 though , But I don't think Little Hatch will molt

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yeah, my poor Lil'Bit is torn between wanting to be picked up to be put on the roost at night and not wanting to be touched.
    Funniest part about the whole bickering thing is watching my roo. He just gets as far back in a corner as he can and stays real quiet. Reminds me of my DH when I'm on a rant. [​IMG]

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Chicken PMS: foul poultry molting severely?

9. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    boy sounds like my mom through menopause! LOL! [​IMG] [​IMG]

and [​IMG] to the molting flock

10. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:DH and I decided last night that we would call it DMS (During Molt Syndrome). [​IMG]

I've never heard so much grouching and moaning, and I swear we could make an extra chicken from all the feathers on the coop floor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by