There is something wrong with my hen.

Missy020219

Songster
Dec 18, 2019
Buick Creek, British Columbia, Canada
I have a 4-year-old laying hen, I don't know what breed, but she isn't using one leg. She jumps around on her god leg but is laying down most of the day. I don't think anything is broken. She doesn't try and peck me or anything when I try to make her stand on it. But she's not the same. I could never pick her up before without her flapping her wings and trying to getaway. I had a hen die while we were on a trip, so I don't want to lose another. Does anyone know what's wrong?

I have a 4-year-old laying hen, I don't know what breed, but she isn't using one leg. She jumps around on her god leg but is laying down most of the day. I don't think anything is broken. She doesn't try and peck me or anything when I try to make her stand on it. But she's not the same. I could never pick her up before without her flapping her wings and trying to getaway. I had a hen die while we were on a trip, so I don't want to lose another. Does anyone know what's wrong?
:frow Hi Missy, Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about your hen.
Do you know when she last laid an egg?
Any swelling of the foot, toes or joints?
Any scabs or swelling of the bottom of the foot?
Does she have smooth scales on the legs and feet or does she have scaly leg mites?

Feel her abdomen between her legs and below the vent - any swelling or bulging there?
With her age and some of the symptoms you describe, she may be suffering from a reproductive disorder, it can be hard to know with hens sometimes.

Is she eating/drinking on her own o.k.?

Does she have smooth scales on the legs and feet or does she have scaly leg mites?

Feel her abdomen between her legs and below the vent - any swelling or bulging there?
With her age and some of the symptoms you describe, she may be suffering from a reproductive disorder, it can be hard to know with hens sometimes.

I'll get back to you later about how she looks. But she is eating and drinking on her own. the last time she laid an egg was probably a few weeks ago. I started to bring my goats and dogs into the chicken coop just before my hens all stopped laying. But the last time I felt her leg her ankle or whatever you call it was hotter than her other ankle.

I just checked on her and noticed on the bone near her butt on her belly there were not a lot of feathers which you can see where I circled it.
IMG-1361.jpg

This is how it looks when she's standing.
IMG-1362 (1).JPG
IMG-1363.JPG

I also noticed that a bit of her foot is green. The green is way brighter in real life.
IMG-1364.JPG

I recently read that green skin in chickens can be bruising. Also how long has she been electing to lay down? The sparse festering in that area could be from the laying down frequently, especially if her leg hurts so she does it awkwardly?

I recently read that green skin in chickens can be bruising. Also how long has she been electing to lay down? The sparse festering in that area could be from the laying down frequently, especially if her leg hurts so she does it awkwardly?
She's been electing to lay down for about three days. When she lays down she leans all her weight on her good leg and has the wing on her bad side spread out. Which is how I noticed she wasn't feeling well. she was laying in the corner like that.

Back
Top Bottom