There is to much of them you guys need to go back to laying ahhhh...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken crazed 1o1, Jul 11, 2011.

1. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    broodyness is a very contagious diseases when you have one that is broody another one will go broody and so on .... The signs are #1 Sitting on the nest all day #2 When You go in the coop to pick eggs it puffs up and savigly attacks you pecking at you fingers and arms ! #3 When you go in the coop and a hen is getting ticked off becuase she wants to lay an egg . #4 When your dog comes to say hi to the chickens the hen will vishesly fly at it out of no were . If you wish for 1 you will get 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 then 5 and so on . #5 A poor little rooster out side in the run wondering were his ladys are . I guess what im trying to say is be very careful about what you wish for.......... BEACUASE IT WILL TURN INTO A NIGHTMARE MOOWAHAHAHAHAAA ^~^

2. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    I have at least 10 broody hens, 4 broody turkeys, 2 broody goose, 2 broody guineas. [​IMG] So you are right, be very, very careful what you wish for. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  3. chicken crazed 1o1

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    OMG you better go to the vet and get them checked out [​IMG] LOL

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  4. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    I did not wish for one, but one I have. Thing is I find eggs layed by others under her. So are they pushing her off the nest to lay or what?

5. chicken crazed 1o1

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    Maybe the higher pecking order hens pecked her of the nest Not in less she is top of the pecking order [​IMG]

6. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    I'm feeling the broody pains myself... all 4 of my duck hens... ameraucana just hatched a baby, and my dominique just hatched one... not a big first hatch for either hen but its something... the dominique snuck in my chick pen, laid her clutch, and started setting.. i figured what could be the harm... apparently one of the other chicks got in between her and the baby and a dead plucked 4 week old ameraucana is the result... definately wont happen again..

and the other hatches arent good because of the same reason as Macdoogle2... APPARENTLY when a hen starts setting, that is an open invitation for every chicken and duck i have to lay its egg in her nest when she's out gettin a drink of water... my muscovy sat for like 2 months, every 2 weeks it would move about 8 inches onto the freshly laid eggs... ducks are kinda dumb sometimes...

7. chicken crazed 1o1

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    ya lol right now I have 2 and now japenease bantam hen is thinking about it and same is my japxsebright hen the first 2 are sitting on 25 eggs each this going to scary .....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by