There she blows!...now what??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kinniburgh, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Kinniburgh

Kinniburgh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Brand new to chickens. Hallelujah, I got my first egg today from Tinker Bell a BR. She is still sitting on it. Is that normal or do I have to shew her off after a while? I want her to enjoy the fruits of her labor and let the kids see the egg in the nest when they come home from school (it's been such a long 20 weeks)...but don't want her to get any ideas about raising this egg. For those of you who have been at this chicken thing for years, I apologize for such a dumb question.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Many chickens will set for a spell after laying an egg. Just resting up. Proportionally, that's a pretty large object she just ejected from a tender part of her body.

I can't imagine she'd become broody with her very first egg!

Give her a couple of hours - bet she'll get off the egg and go do other things just like normal.

3. Kinniburgh

Kinniburgh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Thanks for the quick reply and for not calling me an idiot to my face!! I LOVE THIS CHICKEN THING!

4. silkiechick236

silkiechick236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] Yay for Tinkerbell!!! [​IMG]

And don't worry, that was not a stupid question [​IMG]

5. organicchef

organicchef Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2007
    Central NC
    So Happy for you and your chick!!! YEAH!!! [​IMG]

6. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Congrats! My Australorpe sits on hers for awhile after she lays. I don't have the heart to reach under her and steal it after all her effort. Eventually though she gets up and joins the rest of the girls.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It's better to wait till they leave the nest so they don't peck you.

8. CarolAnn

CarolAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Kansas
    Wednesday when I found my first egg I picked it up and cuddled it a minute before putting it back in the nest for my granddaughters to see after school. When my daughter drove in the girls literally shot out of the car and came running so fast towards the house that when I said "I'm out here!" they had to make a big arc in the yard cause they couldn't slow down. They've been right with me in this chicken adventure from day one and are as excited as I am. It was really sweet because the 4 of us were bent down looking at that little egg going "wow!!"

I need a bumper sticker that says "I'm crazy about my chickens, and I'm not afraid to admit it!!" lol

9. CarolAnn

CarolAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Kansas
    Once they're all laying I might gather them up a couple/few times a day but I don't want to snatch them right out after they're laid. I want moma to be able to come back and look at it like I'm seeing them do. and it might encourage the other to start getting their nests in
    order. lol

10. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Our BR sits on her egg for quite a while, also. She spends about 2 hours in the nest box every day and when we collect her egg, it is cold. Our GSL and EE each spend about 20 min. doing their duty and their eggs are warm when collected. We are new to chickens and spend lots of time watching for them to exit the coop so we can run out and check for eggs! I'm sure the newness will wear off eventually, right? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by