There was an owl in my coop this morning.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Remudamom, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

All my fault. I forgot to shut the small door to the outside. The most unbelievable part is that all the chickens are fine except one is missing. But there were no feathers inside or outside. Hopefully she was out with the others I found outside and is just hiding.

[​IMG]

2. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Wooooohooooo. Bet she was all turned around and couldn't find her way back out. How'd you get her out? Wonder if she was chasing a mouse or househunting?

3. Remudamom

My coops are in my big building that I use for a tack/buggy building for my horses. The chicken coops are at the very back, with people doors from the the tack area and little chicken doors on the sides for them to go out. I opened the people door and then walked to the front of the building and opened the big garage door and it was out of there before I could turn around. It had to have walked in the little chicken door that I forgot to close last night.

I can't believe there is only one pullet missing. I'm as sure as I can be that she isn't dead.

4. hondo58

hondo58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    What a great photo. I'm gad you took it and not me!

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Wow! Is that a defect in the left pupil? You know, they can fly in but can never fly out!

6. Remudamom

I think it was just the way my flash caught it. It sure was glad to get out. Haven't found the missing pullet yet but I'm still hopeful, I surely would have seen traces of a chicken murder.

7. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Did she lay any eggs for you? I wonder what owl eggs taste like?

You won't have to worry about having any mice or rats in you coop now!

8. mong7769

mong7769 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2012
    North Olmsted, Ohio
    What a cool picture, even if it was a little startling and could have been very bad! Hopefully you find the other pullet!

9. Remudamom

Whoo hoo!! Found the pullet. She was in the yard hiding under a trailer. She's back in the coop drinking lots of water!

10. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Wow! I guess my question is did you ask it the proverbial question? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie roll Tootsie pop? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by