1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

There's a lump on my rooster's chest?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlueVelociraptor, Jun 5, 2011.

1. BlueVelociraptor

BlueVelociraptor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    England
    hey all, I have two pullets and two roos, this morning when I let them out of the coop, one boy, Lucario, didn't want to go out. I changed their water and the other three came and drank some but he didn't and I brought them oats which they go crazy for and he wasn't interested in that either... A little later, however, he did come down to have a small drink. Normally he's the first out... and he normally does not want to be picked up and is desperate to be put back down however today he didn't mind and hardly moved. He even closed his eyes a little. I then felt a lump on his chest, a little smaller than a golf ball I think. He doesn't mind it being touched, it feels soft and seems to have liquid in it. What's wrong with him? I don't think he's eaten a thing today. [​IMG] Thanks for any help. ^^

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    it may be his crop.. can you get a pic?

3. BlueVelociraptor

BlueVelociraptor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    England
    Just tried taking a photo and failed, it doesn't look like anything from the images.. but I've done some research on the crop, it's slightly to the right side of the chest, so i'm pretty sure that's what it is, thank you for replying! Has he just eaten too much? This website suggests I don't feed him over night and see if the lump has gone down at all, but he's not eating anyway...

-sorry I think this is posted in the wrong section, I thought it could be a serious problem-

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    its not that he ate to much... an enlarged crop is normal when they have been eating... dont worry about wrong section... this section is fine for that kind of stuff...

Quote:

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    If it is a crop impaction it will stay hard instead of draining over night or if he is not eating. I have not dealt with it personally yet, but I know that massaging it is good, try doing a search on impacted crop or sour crop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by