There's a storm 'a comin....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tdd2, Jan 25, 2015.

1. tdd2

tdd2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    SEPA, USA
    Just a gentle note...

They are calling for significant weather for those of us in the mid-Atlantic and New England areas over the next several days.

1-3' of snow, along with strong winds (some areas approaching hurricane force), and after this storm is over on Tuesday, nighttime temps in the single digits for most of us.

Don't forget to double check that your littles', and their housing is adequately prepared for what's in store.

Keep safe and warm all!

Cheers'

Dan

1 person likes this.
  2. Lorelle

Lorelle New Egg

Jan 26, 2015
    I have two pekin ducks who are almost a year old. This is my first winter storm with them. Their coop is well fortified. It's pretty big for just two ducks so I sectioned off half it and use that area to store their hay and shavings (this offers some extra insulation). There is a smaller section designated for their food and heated water, and the rest is covered with shavings that I change almost every day.

I'm concerned about their run. It's entirely fenced in, and I keep the bottom covered with a generous amount of dry hay. It has a slanted roof built above it, but the run itself is mostly fence. With the winds going to be so crazy should I make them stay inside their coop? Could I build up the hay around the sides of the run to offer some protection and hope that will be enough? One of my ducks is blind and doesn't seem to be all there. While I have seen him go in the coop by himself before, I'm worried he could have a difficult time and get stuck out there.

Any advice would be appreciated. I just want to make sure I do everything I can to give them the best home possible.

3. tdd2

Mar 14, 2014
    SEPA, USA
    Lorelle,

If they have open access to get back into their coop freely (their pen and coop are directly connected), then I'd just keep an eye on them to see if they just stay in on their own. Many duck owners will tell you that their Littles' like it outside in the cold as long as they can get out of it when needed.

It is snowing lightly here at the moment, and the winds are 10-15mph. I just checked in on mine (I have a live cam to keep an eye on them), and they're out in their run playing in the waterers - daffy ducks! ;)

If their coop and run are not connected - i.e., you move them from one to the other, if it were me, I'd keep them in their coop 'till things settle out a bit - especially if they have access to food and water in the coop, as well as weather protection . . .

Keep safe and warm!

Dan

4. Lorelle

Lorelle New Egg

Jan 26, 2015
    Thanks, Dan!

Their pen and coop are directly connected so I'll keep an eye on them. We had some snow this past weekend and they seemed perfectly fine, so I'm probably over worrying a bit. I've become quite attached to them!

Thanks again,

5. tdd2

Mar 14, 2014
    SEPA, USA
    Anytime!!

Better safe than sorry - they're family, you know!

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Dan, thanks for this thread! I have been doing storm preps. Made sure we have fifteen gallons of drinking water - mostly for the ducks!

I moved their night pen to the storm shelter a couple of years ago - just makes it easier to care for them. I won't have to shovel to get to them. I love that.

7. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Please be careful, everyone in the Northeast! I'll be hoping that no major damage happens...to you or your duckies! :/

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks, Amykins - all hunkered down now. Enjoying the wood stove and GF cheese toast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by