There's A Wolf In My Living Room

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Kevin565, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Wolf Dogs to be exact. Wolf Dogs are misunderstood like many other large breeds.

Misconceptions:

Wolf Dogs are hybrids? Actually Wolf Dogs are NOT hybrids. They are not different species.

Wolf dogs will turn on you? Actually wolf dogs are very loyal. ***Wolf dogs are not recommend to be left alone with a child. However this is standard with most dogs. Though I do not believe they would turn on their "pack" strangers are a different story.

Wolf Dogs are great guard dogs? WRONG WRONG WRONG. This is the number one misconception. Hundreds of wolfdogs are bought and chained to guard a property. YOU ARE THE ALPHA. It is YOUR job to protect the pack. Though wolf
    dogs can be very menacing they are very likely to cower behind you in a event of a danger.

Wolf dogs are a breed? Wolf Dogs are not a breed. Wolf Dogs consist of many different wolf species and well as many dog breeds. Most common dog breeds used are huskies malamutes german sherpards cane corsos.

Wolf Dogs are pets? NO. Wolf dogs are companions. They don't become submissive easily. They will follow you EVERYWHERE.
    If i buy a cub it will love me right? Cubs and Puppies are not similar in behavior. Puppies tend to love you from the start. You WILL have to earn their trust.

Wolf Dogs aren't very bright? IMO wolf dogs are smarter than any dog you will ever own.

Two wolf dogs are twice the fun right? Two wolf dogs are not twice the effort. It's more like ten times the work. EVERYTHING is a competition with each other. If it's your first time taking in a wolf dog I would suggest just one.

Whats a content? Content refers to how much wolf is in them. Low and Mid content are suggested for a beginner. Please DO NOT get a High content if you are not prepared to put in A LOT of training and socialization. A unruly high content wolf dog can be VERY DANGEROUS. However it CAN be avoided with proper effort.

WARNING: High Content wolves are EXTREMELY food aggressive. I can not stress this enough. There is a fight EVERY SINGLE meal. It NEVER fails. IF you do not like to see animals fight this is not a good dog for you.

STILL want a wolf dog?

First off get a cub as young as you can. Bonding is the easiest when young.

Find a breeder. I do NOT mean a backyard breeder. If you arrive at a breeder and all the animals are chained or stuffed in small cages with no socialization. PLEASE PLEASE RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN. A GOOD breeder would have informed you of all of the information from above and MUCH more.

How much is a wolf dog. This will vary greatly. Generally you can find a low content for 100 to 150. Mid content are 200 too 400. High Contents usually start at 600 and can reach well over 2000. *** Most breeders will require a spay/ neuter contract. There are too many wolf dogs in rescues and shelters due to backyard breeders and people who don't realize what they're getting into.

If you have any questions about wolf dogs feel free to post them below or send me a PM.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*** I Do NOT own any of the pictures. They are just for visual purposes

2. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Interesting post. So, do you own wolf-dogs? How many do you have and do you breed them? [​IMG]

3. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    I do own a pair of high content wolf dogs. They are too young to breed but I still plan on waiting until she's 3 before she has a litter.

4. LaBaze

LaBaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Covington, LA
    Hi! Glad someone made a thread. We had a wolfdog for about a year or so we named him Remus and he loved us and killed many chickens during his stay (it was the chickens fault, still can't believe they jumped the fence into the dog yard... [​IMG]) I may post pictures some other time. Thanks for making this thread! !!Wolf Dogs Rule!!

5. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    I'm glad you like it [​IMG]. I just want everyone to understand they are wonderful animals but require different needs than a dog. Luckily I haven't had any deaths yet but Sasha has quite a fascination with my rabbit [​IMG]

6. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    I have known several wolf-dogs. I have also had the chance to study real captive wolves in a pack situation. Personally I like dogs can work for me and with me. Wolf-dogs can be very beautiful -- looking forward to some pics.

7. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    Quote:That must have been a lot of fun to study the wolves. [​IMG]. They are such intelligent creatures.

8. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    It was really fun and interesting. Since the wolves were housed on my Grandmothers property, where I lived, I had a lot of close contact with them. It wasn't a formal study, I didn't do any video or take notes, however I did learn a lot. They were very intelligent and moved in a way that dogs do not. Also they did not smell like dogs.

9. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    They are some of the most graceful creatures I've ever seen. Not to mention the speed. They quickly fly past their Great Dane pack mates.

10. LaBaze

LaBaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Covington, LA
    We found Remus when my uncle told us that someone had left 2 pitbulls and 1 wolfdog tied to trees in their backyard and moved away. My mom went to take a look at them and when she got their the neighbor came out to tell her that she had been feeding them since her neighbors left but that she couldn't afford to feed them anymore. The two pitbulls were in good shape but Remus barely had any hair from laying in ants for a long time. We took him home and and got him healthy and absolutley beautiful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We don't have him anymore, we gave him to a man who had recently lost his husky to doggy heaven and was looking for another dog. Remus lived happily with him, they went jogging together, Remus even slept inside but he got out of the yard one day and he was last sighted in Fountainbleau State Park.
    I hope that he is happy and running with a pack of wild dogs and wolfdogs. Long Live Remus.

Wolf dogs are wonderful animals that are very high spirited, I remember when he used to howl at night outside my window, Ill never forget him. For anyone that wants a wolfdog, do your homework and make sure you can spend alot of time with him and can take care of them. They will give their heart to you but you have to commit yours to them too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by