There's a wolf where?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by EllyMae, May 14, 2008.

1. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, for weeks now I've been wondering what in the world is making the eerie howling sound after dark. I mean HAIR raising. Now I hear coyotes, coon hounds, etc pretty often and knew it was nothing I had heard before. Kept thinking it sounded like a wolf. WELL, it turns out that it IS a wolf. Yellow eyes and all. Some people down the road have it chained up in the back. I am flanked on either side(and front AND the back)with big herds of beef cattle. Not to mention my livestock. The cattle owner expressed his concern to me tonight.
    I'm not against wolves at all...in fact that is the mascot from my college...BUT tying it out? Seems like they should put it in a more secure area. Also, it's not very tame. Is this legal?
    Did I mention it will raise the hair on your head when it howls?......

2. Ga Chicken Mom

Ga Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    I'll bet its not legal to have a wolf tied up out back. Besides, how humane is it to keep a wild animal tied up? If you really want to do something about the poor wolf, call Fish and Game and see if they will investigate.

3. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    The poor animal! That definitely goes against everything in its nature. If people are going to have wolves or wolf hybrids as pets, they should be prepared to provide the animals what they need to be healthy and happy. I would definitely call Fish and Game, SPCA, or someone to ask some questions and see if they can at least drive by and take a look. Unfortunately, if it has shelter and water, that is all most states require to be considered humane treatment. Wolves are such magnificent animals. It's heartbreaking to think of one being tied up. Good luck! On another note...I would loooove to hear him howl! I think that'd be so cool, as long as I knew he was not going to eat any of my pets!

4. EllyMae

I am going to check it out. The poor thing sounds so mournful at times. I am going to find out if it's indeed a full wolf and not a hybrid. Anyone know if the hybrids howl like that?

5. EllyMae

Quote:Yeah, it's really a beautiful sound. Of course, the bay of a pack of hounds is music to my ears too.

6. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Quote:Mine howls, but not mournfully, and you can tell his howl is not pure. It has a "dog" note at the end. I would definetly call, especially since in most states, you are required to have a special license for a higher % of hybrid. IE: Florida requires the license for anything over 20% (I think that's the %) And if it is just tied out, they can get in BIG trouble! I would never dream of treating my boy that way!!! Sometimes I wonder about people!!! [​IMG] Good luck. Steph

7. EllyMae

This one sounds exactly like the ones I heard out west. I figure he is very unhappy. Who wouldn't be...chained up and forgotten. And aren't they pack oriented? He probably wants companions. Kinda like keeping a single fox hound...sometimes doesn't always work out so good, and they are domesticated!
    Thanks everyone for all the input. [​IMG]

8. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    My hybrid howls along with the coyotes, the fire trucks, the cops, ambulances, when a car turns in the drive and when the neighbors dogs bark. *sigh* and each is a different tone/cadence/rythym. I can tell what he is "accompanying" by the sound!
    I have an audio clip that I picked up off my webcam mic, but I don't have any idea how to post it.

9. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    an idiot relative of mine has a pet wolf- and they kept it chained some- they moved and have a kennel now. they can't leaveher unnattended indoors she tears stuff up- and she can't be kept with most other dogs because she is very dominant- but she is the sweetest thing. When/if the idiot is shippped off to Iraq I am tempted to ask for her- but I know DH would say NO WAY. SHe would be fixed immediately at my house-

10. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    In most counties in NC, it is illegal to own or breed wolves or wolf hybrids.

There is however a wolfdog sanctuary, that takes them in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by