There's gotta be a better set-up . . .

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by frankenchick, Jun 23, 2010.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    for our 8' X 8' coop. Right now, we have two roosts along the north side (total of 16 lin. ft.), nest boxes along the east, the window & door on the south (with waterer between them) and the feeder hanging mid-west-side just out of reach of poops dropping from the roosts. I'd like to put in poop boards, but the set-up is so cramped that I'm not sure how it'd work.

I've read to figure 3 sq. ft./chicken, but no one told my chickens that! [​IMG] The 12 of them seem to fill the coop to bursting! How can I give them more space and make life easier for myself?

2. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Maybe look in the BYC coop section find the ones same size as yours and get ideas from there. good luck!

3. owler

owler Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2010
    Northen NJ
    I am designing my coop so that the poop boards slide out and you can clean from the outside. Kind of like drawers. They will be 20" above the ground so there is plenty of room to walk under. Does this help?

4. timp123

timp123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    Georgetown, Indiana
    Quote:Very cool idea!

5. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Thanks, I just got back from IL and was hoping to find some ideas! [​IMG]

I DO like the slide-out poop board idea; thanks, owler. I've spent a lot of time drooling over the coops in the coop section, but I really stink at decoding photos and diagrams (remind me to tell you about the butchering diagram sometime . . .). Maybe I can get my DH off the bee forum long enough to take a look.

Or maybe not . . . he may sense another building project coming on . . .

6. tri-5-ron

tri-5-ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Orange County
    my 4' x 8' coop (with both front doors opened up), with 15' of roost inside, slide out / removable plastic panel poop boards, and 3 nesting boxes w/ outside egg collection access door...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Tri-S-ron, that's a NICE coop!!!! Very functional and looks *ahem* much nicer than the two I built.....

8. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Tri-5-Ron, what is the height of your coop from the inside?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  9. tri-5-ron

tri-5-ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Orange County
    Thanks for the compliment.
    I got all of the ideas and suggestions, from various members here on the BYC.
    Great group of folks, and geat source of info for a newbie like me.

Now, I'm just waiting for the girls to start earning their keep, and start contributing to our breakfast's !
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by