There's no hope is there?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by EggsForIHOP, Nov 3, 2011.

1. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Well...we lost power last night for a few hours and it got EXTRA cold in the house - it was in the 40's outside and pretty close in here, hovering at 50 or so according to the thermostat.

So, of course, the broiler chicks dumped over their water, made a nice cold wet spot in the shavings, and SQUISHED one of their fellow brooder mates underneath it! [​IMG] I woke up to the poor little fella limp and wet and icy cold stuck below the waterer and 4 other huge chicks - got it as warm as I could as fast as I could...but I just get the feeling it ain't gonna make it. It did perk up for a second...but not much...

Powers back on now, it's warm again in the brooder (too windy and cold today I think for 2 week olds to be out, so they are all in)...so everyone else is fine. But how much time would you give it before you cull it? It's been since 9am that I know of, estimating power went out at maybe 5am-ish...and what really worries me is the squished factor.

I REALLY hate loosing an animal to something so stupid...and I REALLY don't want it suffering - but if it may perk up I hate to cull needlessly. I know, it's a broiler chick and destined for a short life regardless...but I'd rather that life was lived out to serve it's purpose...

Anyways...just had to share...sometimes living in the boonies has it's down sides, and power outages every time the wind blows too hard is one of 'em...I just feel pitiful right now, trying to decide when to go ahead and let the poor chick go.

2. ShadyHoller

ShadyHoller Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Willamette Valley
    If it's still got a spark of life in it at all, I would try keeping it warm for a few hours before giving up. If it doesn't start to improve rapidly once it's dry and warm, you'll be able to tell it isn't going to make it.

I've been amazed at what some of our birds have bounced back from. Like a week-old turkey poult that somehow got itself into a water pail, and had been in there until it had given up struggling and appeared dead... but after it spent a half hour under a heat lamp in a bucket of straw, he was chirping loudly for momma. That bird made it, and now I couldn't pick him out from the rest of his/her broodmates, all of whom are thriving.

Good luck!

3. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Had the very same thing happen and the little guy lived [​IMG] Don't give up just yet

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Don't feel too bad, I live in the "middle" of a huge city and still have power outages. Usually when it's day 12 to 18 of a hatch though. Having said that, Day 18 will be Sunday, so if you live in west Houston, be ready!

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I brought back to life 8 poults. Warmed them with a hair dryer. Just give it a chance. Good luck and let us know what happens.

6. EggsForIHOP

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Quote:LOL...it seems like after Ike they NEVER got it quite back to right with the electricity did they?

Really though...I culled it at 3pm today...it wasn't quite "wrong" but it still wasn't quite "right". It perked up a tad, but was still not looking good...I'm pretty sure with the odds stacked against it being squished AND wet and cold for several hours, it deserved just to be at peace finally and I kinda wish I woulda moved quicker making a decision now seeing it never really got better. At least I gave it a chance though right?

It's okay - clearly I have 4 survivors - if it ever floods they know to make it to high ground...gotta look on the bright side some days...

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I don't give up hope as long as they are still alive. Chickens are a strrange mixture of really fragile and unbelievably tough.

You can purchase an alarm that beeps if the power goes off. That gives you a chance to provide some other source of heat for your brooder.

8. EggsForIHOP

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Quote:Ahh...but then I'd have to hear alarms! You know I worked nights for YEARS because the only way I could get to work on time was for my husband to wake me up when he got home! It's a thought tho...at least maybe my husband would have a shot at hearing it...where does one even find such an alarm?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by