1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

There's no hope, is there?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ninjapoodles, Sep 11, 2008.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I know there isn't, but thought I'd ask JUST IN CASE.

I got a lovely blue Ameraucana hen from eggchel a month ago. She had been with a black Ameraucana rooster, and we were hoping she'd lay eggs that we could collect and hatch after she got here. But she didn't, probably due to the stress of shipping and then the quarantine period, during which she was all alone.

Yesterday her quarantine was up, and I put her out in the yard with the other chickens. She was SO happy. And this morning, in addition to our Buff Orp eggs, we had a surprise:

[​IMG]

The poor dear was just waiting to get some semblance of normalcy back in her life so she could start laying again.

I don't suppose that there is ANY chance this egg could be fertile, after a month of no rooster...could it?

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I wouldn't think so. I think 2 weeks is the limit. Sorry!

Beautiful egg, though! So there is hope, if you've got a roo!

3. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:I don't have an Ameraucana roo yet. Must exercise patience. [​IMG]

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Quote:well good luck with that! [​IMG]

5. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    In turkeys, fertilized eggs have been produced as much as 15 weeks after breeding.

In chickens, I *think* the max is about 3-4 weeks. You're not likely to get a chick out of that egg, but on the other hand you never know!

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Beautiful egg. I can't hardly wait for my ameraucanas to start laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by