There's no way my week old barred rock sexed pullet "crowed"...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by orchidchick, Dec 22, 2008.

1. orchidchick

orchidchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    ....is there? I haven't said anything because I have been waiting to see if I heard it again. Which I haven't. But last week when I flicked on the lights in the morning in the garage, and was checking everyone over, she/he stuck out her neck and scree-scre-screeched very high pitched. If it was one of the black sex links, I wouldn't have thought twice, but now I'm beginning to wonder. It was the most adorable thing. This particular chick is the most people friendly, fly's on you every chance it gets, is always trying new stunts, so it may be just be more outlandish. I guess time will tell!
    Orchidchick

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Gosh if it was sex linked you would think it would be a pullet if that is what you ordered. Sometimes hens do crow but I would be shocked it they did it at 1 week. A friend of mine just had a little Silkie crow at about 5 days old so it is possible they will start very early. Unless they mixed up the order and you don't really have a sex link in the group you received, I would be willing to think it is a fluke.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I think what orchidchick was saying is that if it was one of the sex links then it would seem impossible; but it's a BR that may have crowed.
    I remember reading awhile back that someone had a chick crow at 5 days old and in fact, I think that chick was a BR too.
    So IMO sexed or not, yes it's possible. Sexing is only 90% accurate at best. Sounds like you have had some bad luck. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Post a picture and I can probably tell you if its a cockerel or pullet. They are colored differently.

5. orchidchick

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    Thanks Speckledhen,

must find the camera first!

6. speckledhen

I have had them crow at five days and seven days before. It's adorable. Sort of sounds like "buh-REEEET", a trilling noise.

7. orchidchick

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those are the baby pics I have of them. Maybe that will shed some light. The head markings of very different on the BR chicks and one is much bigger, although the smaller one has more developed tail feathers.
    But I also know what a difference a day makes at this age!

Thanks a bunch,
    Orchidchick

8. speckledhen

There's a boy in your bunch. Bottom, middle of the last picture. The big splotchy headspot is a cockerel, IMO. Seems to be a more silvery/frosty color, too, another sign of a boy. The boys seem more friendly than the girls in this breed as chicks. Love those BR boys!

9. orchidchick

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    Well at least I'm not hearing things; in the coop anyway! You're pretty spot-on when it comes to picking out these boy-girl thangs. Well, I guess I am off to research roos!

Thanks again,
    Orchidchick

10. speckledhen

I love, love, love my BR roosters. One reason I like the breed is that you can sex them fairly accurately, early on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by