Thermocubes - confused

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kuntrychick, Nov 28, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    I'm confused as to when to use thermocubes. If you use an aquarium heater, do you need a thermocube? What about a bird bath heater? What about a stock tank heater or pond de-icer?

I'm not sure I understand. Like I guess some things has a built-in thermostat & will kick on & off on it's own without a thermocube & some things need a thermocube or else it would stay on constantly?

2. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    The reason to use a thermocube is to save money by shutting off the heater when the temperature is above freezing. It seldom gets above freezing in my neck of the woods so I don't bother. My chickens drink more water when it is warmer so that works for me.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Say you built one of those cookie tin heaters, upon which you place a waterer to keep the water from freezing. You plug the power cord for the light(s) inside the cookie tin into a thermocube, then plug the thermocube into the outlet. It won't come on until it is 35 degrees, and when the temperature at the power outlet (where the thermocube is) hits 45 debrees, it shuts off the power to the cookie tin heater.

You only need something to come on when it's below a certain temperature and shut off when it's above that temperature. There are thermocubes with different ranges of temperatures, like ones for hot weather, too, to power fans.

Hope this helps.

4. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Not to be a thread stealer, but jmagill, I always thought you people in Wyoming had winters like we do in Maine! ? I guess I was wrong! WOW!

5. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Ok so no matter what it is....an aquarium heater, a bird bath heater, a pond de-icer, stock tank heater, cookie tin heater, etc., etc....if I want it to turn off at a certain temp, I would need a thermocube? Do they not make one that comes on at freezing? We have many nights here that gets near freezing, and some that gets freezing & below, but usually goes back up above freezing during the day. (Although last winter we had a record of like 2 weeks or so where it didn't get above freezing & was mostly in the teens & single digits...BRRRR!)

But the heated dog water bowl does have a thermostat on it, so that does not need one, right?

So things with a thermostat doesn't need a thermocube, right?

6. jmagill

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    Your right things with a thermostat do not usually need a thermocube.

Aquarium heaters( I use these) do however. The thermostats on them on regulates between 65 and 100 ( or so). That means it will be on all the time unless the water hits what ever you have set it at.

7. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Don't use an aquarium heater, it's just dangerous! I know people do it, but it is another fire hazard. If you buy a stock tank heater they usually have the thermostat built in. I bought a thermocube to use with a stock tank heater I was going to put in a five gallon bucket that had 3 water nipples on the bottom. I did not realize the stock tank heater had the thermostat. So I have a thermocube brand new in the package that I can't use......yet. So....read the package. My stock tank heater said right on the box what temps it turn on and off at.....I just had not bother to read the package.

8. jmagill

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    Quote:I am curious why you think the aquarium heaters are a fire hazard?

9. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Thanks, y'all! I have ordered nipples & plan on putting them in a 5-gallon bucket & haven't decided what I'm gonna use to heat it yet...not sure of the wattage it would need, etc. for 5 gallons & less.

We are having a chance of snow tonight & the temps are really dropping...might not make it below freezing, but not sure. But, until I get the nipples & get the waterer put together, I put the heated dog bowl out there for the first time since I bought it, filled it up with sand & set their waterer on top of that. I read that on here; I hope that's ok. I'm not sure how it'll do dry with the sand but I'm trying it. I'll go out & check on it in a little while.

10. rccruspero400

rccruspero400 New Egg

Nov 28, 2011
    Glad to be here, my name is ric cruspero Recently from Utah, originally from Chicago and to this day miss my home town.

I enjoy my family,I love all four seasons , specially the spring and the life it brings.

Technology has been a part of my life for the last 6 years and most recently primarily on the Internet.

I seem to be drawn to technology and love all the high tech gadgets out there.
    Things as they are, more and more people are seeking guidance from people who have walked the walk and can teach others how to benefit from what they went through. Message me if you need my help

I am a technician in the field of Engineering and Scientific project management.

Learning about new things is one of my passions.

when possible I volunteer for for valid causes that help the elderly.

Glad to be a part of this Website and hope I can help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by