Thermometer Discrepancy

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Andaloosa, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Andaloosa

Andaloosa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Lago Vista
    Okay, I installed the fan in my new Little Giant incubator and I'm trying to get the temp & humidity stabilized. It has been running all day with m making minor adjustments every few hours to get the temp right. I have 3 thermometers. One is a digital probe style that is also a hygrometer and the other two are non digital stuck to a piece of clear plastic (they came with the LG bator & turner).

Both non digital ones are reading 102ºF and the digital is reading 97ºF. Any recommendations on which one I should go by? [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Robin

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  2. Andaloosa

Jan 11, 2007
    Lago Vista
    I thought I had a genius moment and put my digital meat thermometer in there with the others and this is what they read:
    both non-digital on plastic card - 102ºF
    probe hygrometer/thermometer - 97.5ºF
    digital meat thermometer - 100.5ºF
    So it didn't really help much.

I think I read somewhere to not go above 103ºF, but what is too cold? Maybe I can keep the hot ones under the too hot temp and the cold one above the too cold temp.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

3. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't help but I hope you get some answer's because I would also like to know this.....

4. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    If you put all this many thermometer
    they are going to drive you crazy

you have all diferent kind of thermometers inthere
    made for diferent uses

you need to discard the ones that are not for this use

meat thermometer are for meat

probe thermometer is for something else

now the ones you have left must be tested in order to tell if they are acurate or not

or get a digital thermometer that you know is acurate and use that one only

I like this one I get them at walmart
    [​IMG]

5. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

If in doubt its always better to err slightly under temperature than over. We use rod mercury thermometers for accuracy but sadly they're no longer available. Brinsea though do a very reliable rod thermometer thats not too expensive. We check for accuracy before eggs are set. This is when I use all of my thermometers after checking them for accuracy (calibration). These are placed in each incubator to check all temperature readings are accurate.

[​IMG]
    The incubators are checked for accuracy every season before incubation.

[​IMG]

This year we bought a Brinsea Spot Check and although expensive its very very accurate and great to callibrate other thermometers from. Since buying one I'd recommend it [​IMG]

Pete [​IMG]

6. Andaloosa

Jan 11, 2007
    Lago Vista
    Quote:The probe thermometer came with the LG kit I bought from IncubatorWarehouse.com. This is the one I have:
    [​IMG]

I don't own any thermometers I know without a doubt to be accurate, so I'm not sure how to go about testing the new ones I got.

This morning, the digital read 98ºF and the non digital read 102ºF. I think if this is within normal limits, then I'll go ahead and set some eggs tonight.

Thanks!

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Until you calibrate your instruments, you don't have a clue how accurate they are.

Rebel’s Thermometer Calibration
    http://cmfarm.us/ThermometerCalibration.html

Rebel’s Hygrometer Calibration
    http://cmfarm.us/HygrometerCalibration.html

For the incubator, you need a thermometer accurate to within 0.1 degree. Most outdoor thermometers are accurate to within 1.0 to 2.0 degrees, a tremendous amount of difference. This degree of accuracy does not mean that it is actually reading the right temperature, just that it will return to within that degree of accuracy every time.

All thermometers can be off due to manufacturing tolerances. An easy example, next time you are where they sell outdoor thermometers, look at several on the same shelf. I've seen 9 degrees difference between high and low in the same model off the same shelf in an air conditioned building.

If you have an outdoor thermometer that is accurate to within 1.0 degrees and due to manufacturing tolerances reads 2 degrees high, if you put it in a place that is 80 degrees, it might read 81 degrees. If you take it out and put it back in, this time it might read 83 degrees. It is operating correctly based on the accuracy it is supposed to have. If you think, "Oh it is digital so it has to be right", pay attention to how accurate someof those digital bank thermometers are when you drive by.

8. Andaloosa

Jan 11, 2007
    Lago Vista
    Quote:Unfortunately, I gave myself a deadline by telling my mom, "We should have baby chicks hatching when you come visit." She'll be here at the end of the month, so I need to start the eggs setting in the next day or so. I'll have to put the Brinsea thermometer on my list of things to have for next time.

Thanks!

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:The probe thermometer came with the LG kit I bought from IncubatorWarehouse.com. This is the one I have:
    [​IMG]

I don't own any thermometers I know without a doubt to be accurate, so I'm not sure how to go about testing the new ones I got.

This morning, the digital read 98ºF and the non digital read 102ºF. I think if this is within normal limits, then I'll go ahead and set some eggs tonight.

Thanks!

I use the same one. I also use this one too and it is right on.
    http://www.strombergschickens.com/product/Digital-Stem-Thermometer/incubator-thermometers
    [​IMG]

I use this hygrometer. I calibrated it and actually it didn't need to be calibrated because it was right on too.
    http://www.eggcartons.com/New-Design-Incubator-Hygrometer/productinfo/FHP-HYGRO/
    [​IMG]

Walmart
    [​IMG]

10. charlindabob

charlindabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    I have been searching for this EXACT thermometer as I have one already and I like the clip on the back too. Wal-Mart does not carry this anymore....anybody have one to sell or know where I can still find this particular model?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by