thermometer for incubator

buckyphifer

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Northwest Tennessee
Can I use just a normal thermometer or do I need a special incubator thermometer. I know the "special one" would be better, but I really don't want to spend more if it isn't necessary. Can I use an electronic thermometer with temp and humidity readings that you use in your home? All this wet bulbs and water wigglers, etc. are making me cookoo!
barnie.gif
I need easy.

I used one ! it worked for air temp. I had a meat thermometer in wiggler......and temps stayed accurate the whole time........
I just set 29 eggs......using a regular thermometer inside wiggler....and same digital air thermometer........... good luck..it worked for me !

When you say "regular thermometer" do you mean just the old mercury thermometer? Why did you decide to use it this time rather than the meat thermometer? Can you tell I'm a newbie when it comes to incubation?!
big_smile.png
I've tried it once before, but all my eggs were infertile. I guess they were good to learn on as I couldn't harm anything that wasn't really there. Thanks for you info!

I only had a meat thermometer at that time....I have since found 2 mercury "like" thermometers at my local feed/hardware store......... they were on paper but I rolled the sides up and used them in the wiggler this time........ I stuck with my air thermometer I used last time (digital) and so far temps are holding as they did with the meat thermometer ! the new one I have IN wiggler is made for incubation,but the majority of advice I was given before I started mentioned using a old style mercury ..but I could not find one for the life of me......... I hope it is a successful hatch for you.
This is my 2nd time around.........shipped eggs for me the first time and they didnt make it....added a few of my own and only 2 little chickies for me in the end....... here is a link to my incubator experience , https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=32402

there are so many that know so much more than I do and have much more experience also....maybe someone else will chime in and help.....good luck to you
fl.gif

Last edited:
Any thermometer will work. I personally find that thermometers made for the purpose of health care or research are more accurate because they have to be certified for use in well... things where temp is critical. So really, any thermometer will work if you can verify it is of quality.

I found a digital thermometer /hydrometer combo on line last year, "Springfield Precise Temp". I's only about 3"x2" and has a large display. Really easy to read. I know I only paid about $7.00 for it. It's been working great-I checked it against a regular thermometer and
they read the same.

you're lucky

I got one out of frustration -- it reads 3* different on temp and 10% different on humidity, compared to a thermo/hygrometer designed to monitor a baby, compared to two other household thermometers plus the big house thermostat ...

Quote:
I just bought one of those today at "Wolly World" to put in my incubator, b/c the expensive Flukers (Thermo/Hygrometer) combo wasn't registering the humidity. I paid $6.47 for it. Hope mine works as good for me as yours does.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom