Thermometer help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by apollora, Oct 6, 2013.

1. apollora

apollora Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Walla Walla, WA
    Hello everyone!
    I have a question on incubating eggs. This is my first attempted at hatching eggs. I read all the instructions and made sure that my bater was keeping consistent temp for 24hrs before setting my eggs this morning. I purchased a hydrometer and thermometer while out today and when I placed that in the bater it's reading 94.6 while my glass thermometer is reading 101.5!
    Before starting my incubater I checked the temp of the glass thermometer with another household digital thermometer and they were within a degree of each other. I have a still air incubater so I set it to 102, does anyone have any suggestions to make sure I'm getting the correct temp in the bater ?

2. TNchickies

TNchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    No specific ideas...maybe just go by one thermometer housed inside of the bator? [​IMG]

3. apollora

Apr 18, 2013
    Walla Walla, WA
    I just calibrated a probe thermometer and placed it in the bator today and it is saying 94 too, since the eggs have only been in the incubator for 2 days can I just increase the temp or is my clutch ruined ?

4. TNchickies

TNchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Well, i hear that the eggs need to be incubated for at least five days before candling. I would increase the temperature slightly, and when the eggs have been incubated for at least five days, i would candle them and see. if you see veins and stuff, you've done it! if not, i sorry. [​IMG] Good luck!!!!!

5. apollora

Apr 18, 2013
    Walla Walla, WA
    I will be candling them this weekend so I will be keeping my fingers crossed !!

6. Kyzmette

Kyzmette Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    You might want to keep a calibrated candy thermometer, or some other baking/cooking thermometer that you can reference your incubator thermometers to. Boiling water is an excellent calibration tool.

7. apollora

Apr 18, 2013
    Walla Walla, WA
    That's what my probe thermometer is, its a meat thermometer that we calibrated.

8. Kyzmette

Kyzmette Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    I had an incubator that ran low for several days and I increased the temps and they did fine after that. I can't speak to it too much, because it was my first time and for some unknown reason my humidity bottomed out on pipping day and I lost the whole batch, but up until that point they were all squirming in the eggs and healthy.

9. apollora

Apr 18, 2013
    Walla Walla, WA
    Thank you everyone for the information. I will make sure to keep an eye on the temp and humidity and will post candling picks on Sunday !!

10. apollora

Apr 18, 2013
    Walla Walla, WA
    So I couldn't wait until tomorrow so I candled a couple eggs this morning, one of them is moving :weee Now I'm in trouble because I thought for sure I killed them and ordered more eggs lol sooooo if I can't cancel the order from Gabbard Farms (I have not heard back from them yet) I might end up with 20 more eggs :th maybe I can sneak them in without my husband noticing :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by