Thermometer/Hygrometer and Candling Inquiries........

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DragonEggs, Aug 19, 2010.

1. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    I bought THIS digital thermometer/hygrometer for my boss' Hova Bator Thermal Air Incubator. We used the thermometer that was included with it for several days before the digital one arrived. The analog thermometer stayed just below 100F mark. The digital is holding humidity at 55% but the temp keeps fluxuating. It will drop to 96.6F then gradually rise to100.2F and will sit at either one for an hour or more before fluxuating again. Even when I raised and dropped the thermostat the digital didn't change. Thing is the analog thermometer didn't budge. I took the analog thermometer out and set it up beside my rooms thermostat. The analog was reading 2F lower than whatever my house thermostat read.

I'm not sure which is accurate and which thermometer reading I should go by. I have NO IDEA how to calibrate a digital thermometer/hygrometer (or even an analog one).

Worried the temp was really fluxuating and damaged my eggs (I have 1 peafowl egg on day 10 and 6 serama eggs on day 1) I attempted to candle but couldn't find my candler. I tried a high powered focused LED. Cant tell with the serama eggs yet but the light wasn't strong enough to see through the peafowl egg. All I could see was the air sack (which looked to be the right size) and the rest of the egg was dark. Then again, I don't really know what I'm looking for in a peafowl egg on day 10 and like I said the light wasn't really strong enough to tell for sure.

I'm pretty clueless right now and am looking for some advice from experienced hatch-a-holics or anyone with peafowl incubation exp. THANKS!

2. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    I am not for sure the only thing I can think is

is the bator in a drafty spot or near a fan?

At least I help bump you back to the top if this isnt it? Sorry

3. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    I don't think so... When we set it up I carefully picked a corner where there were no vents and away from windows....

4. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Does anyone else have any ideas??

5. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I Had this problem (Still do) and even the slightest movement moves the calibrater for the temperature. I would tap yours down, just in-case it is changing temperature when you open it.
    Goodluck
    Mark

6. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Theres a little clip on the thermometer/hygrometer and I have it clipped to a plastic part of the auto turner, a part that is stationary.

Does anyone know how I calibrate a digital thermometer/hygrometer?

7. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Okay so we found the candler today and checked the egg again real quick and it it/was definitly fertile! Whether it's still kicking or not IDK, but I THOUGHT I saw movement....

The air sac was pretty clear and there was a dark spot where it looked like the embryo was developing.

No blood ring or anything but I was a bit concerned that I couldn't see any veins.....

8. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Well, worried about the temp flux I moved the incubator to a different spot. The humidity is holding better since I moved it but the temp is still fluxuating between 96.6 to 100.2. I've tried to adjust the thermostat to make the temp higher but I'm afraid it will get too high and 96.6 just seems too low...

This is my first time incubating and I wanna make sure I get it right so that I'm ready when it's really important.

HELP!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by