Thermometer/hygrometer recommendations

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by minna, Feb 4, 2009.

1. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    So far I have been using the GQP thermometer (non-digital) and a digital thermometer/hygrometer I picked up at lowes. I know it is probably semi-accurate, but I would like to invest in a really good one. Anyone have any recommendations? I am trying to get my bator in tip top shape, and this in on my list of improvements.

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Well it's not much of an investment, but I like my two Accurites that I got at Walmart. They seem to be very accurate.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Got mine at Radio Shack for $20.

4. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    here you go its under 7 bucks
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10671021

and works preatty good i mean for 7 bucks it sure helps out alot and you can get it at any walmart

Edit to add: I actually am using 2 of them in my bator right now they ar eon opposite sides and are giving me accurate temps so i am very happy with them

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  5. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    Ive been debating for several days on buying a GQF or a Brinsea spot check incubator thermometer..They are both accurate to within 0.2* while most digital thermometers are accurate to 2* +/-.. I liked my accurite until it started giving me idiotic readings..I guess it spent to much time in the bator, I dont know..

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    KYBOY, I have two Brinsea thermometers and I love them. Only 20 degree range, and as you said, high accuracy. I changed out the battery right before setting a new batch of eggs, and would do that again each time I set a batch.

Good luck!

7. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:i use these ones...i can tell you one thing about them though...they are not water proof...i spilt water on one and so now i am down to one.

8. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    I just started using an Accu-temp thermometer/hydrometer and was wondering if anyone else has used this sort of digital thermometer? It seemed to read slightly differently than the mercury (meat style cooking thermometer) that I have in the incubator. The two of them are about a degree off of one another. Any thoughts on mercury vs digital thermometers?

UC

9. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    OK Folks, I'm really going stir things up....regarding Temperature gauges.......
    I bought a slightly used Precision Laboratory Gravity Convection Incubator with a Microprocessor Thermostat in it. I bought a Helix DBS1000 Proportional Temperature Control System (Reptile people use them and swear by them). I bought a $20 Temp/Humidiy unit from Radio Shack..........and here are the results of the temp in the Precision (which has been on for 24 hrs @35.7 C

Radio Shack reads...............98.5 degrees F $ 20.00
    Helix reads.........................100 degrees F $135.00
    Presision reads....................35.7 Celsius $ 75.00 used**

The incubator is 2 cu ft inside, stainless steal, 2" Insulated Walls and ceiling. I have a cereal bowl with 3/4 inch of water in it. ..no fan yet!
    I DON'T know anything about converting Fahrenheit to Celsius and vise versa, but this I know, if you believe what you read ........
    38 C = 99.9 F 50 C = 122 F
    ** This unit new is worth $$$ ??????
    What Do I trust? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I use a cigar humidor hygrometer and an aquarium thermo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by