1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

thermometer/hygrometer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aran, Jul 13, 2007.

1. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    Ok guys i dont know if you read my posts about the first go at hatching eggs but it seems from the amount of unabsorbed yolk on 3 of the eggs which didnt make it ( two healthy silkie chicks were born out of 5 eggs) that the humidity or temp was off. Now i am using a medical grade digital thermometer inside the water weasel and it never went much below or above the goal of 99.5F ( i have a fan in the bator) Also the eggs hatched late day 21 early day 22 which makes me think the temp was close enough to be ok.

That leaves me with humidity. I had the humidity at about 50-60% for the 1st 19days on the hygrometer i have and increased it to 70-80% the last 3 days. I have now taken most of the water out of the trays under the eggs and the hygrometer is reading at 40%

What is the most accurate thermometer hygrometer i can get which is not ridiculously expensive? Are the accurites any good? Where do i get em?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    :thunI just bought an Acu Rite model 00891.

Biggest piece of garbage ever!

It worked ok for about 4 minutes, then started reading -45* (its 84* at the time)

It came with a probe so it could measure inside/outside temp I could the sensor close to a flame and the reading would go to -54*

I'm now searching for a good one like you are, What brand and model do you all use?

3. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    I use two Flukers brand digital temp/hydro combos and have had good luck with them so far.

You can get them in the reptile department in a pet store. They're around $20.00, which is a little pricey, but IMHO it's worth it.

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have a accurite with probe from walmart. I've not had a bit of trouble out of it. I hatched several batches of chicks and not one has had a problem with unabosorbed yolks. I keep the accurite inside the cooler and the probe in the water wiggler. temps read 100.5* and 50% humidity for the first 18 days then I bring it up to 70%. I also have a disk humidity reader & a temp reader that is used for reptiles. I bought those at pet supermarket and they read the same as the accurite one. Maybe something is wrong with yours might need to get a new one and check it against the old one.

5. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Mine also came from Walmart, probably the same one.

I guess it may just be a bad one.
    I'll echange it for another one tomorrow and we'll see what happens.

Anybody ever build a bator from a "hard case" cooler?

6. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    I too have an Accurite from WalMart and when I put the other two thermometers I have here inside with the Accurite, they all read the same. I think I have the same one as Poison Ivy (going by pics). No problems with my therm so far....I'm just having trouble keeping my temps down [​IMG].

7. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Where in Walmart are the thermometers located?
    We were all the store yesterday and didn't see a single thermometer except for ovens.
    Our store is super goofy and no employee knows anything.[​IMG]

8. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    they should be in the pharmacy area of the store close the pain reliever.

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I got mine back near the bathroom fixture stuff.

10. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Thats were I found mine.

We have 2 walmarts here, one has them and the other doesn't carry them.[​IMG]

Went to exchange my thermometer today, the didn't have any more, so I'm back to searching:he

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by