thermometer/hygrometer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by john in wa, Mar 31, 2009.

1. john in wa

john in wa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Hi all

i just bought a temp/hygrometer. I put this in my incubator and it showed the temp right on at 99.5 and the moister at 25%. i brought up the moister to as close to 50% as i could but as the moister level went up the temp went down. i have another electic thermometer with out the hygrometer and it still reads 99.5. is this normal. its a springfeild percise temp model no 91551 and a little giant 9200 incubator. thank you

2. merrydancer

merrydancer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2007
    Hi John

Welcome to the frustration of trying to get accurate readings... and getting two devices to match. [​IMG]

I have found quite a wide variance ..especially with digital devices. ...and different variances when compared to my wet bulb set up on different days.

...but somehow.... I am getting good hatch rates.

I generally take my mercury wet bulb setup to be the most accurate.
    You can calibrate your digital devices with a salt test.

Getting a good balance of temp and humidity can be tough...and seems, sometimes, to be a moving target.. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    here I am again... when the hum% goes up the temp will drop.

at 25% set your temp to 100.5F THEN add water and it should balance to about 99.5F..

4. john in wa

Mar 31, 2009
    thank you for the fast replies. i will lower the humidity back to 25% and reset my temp and try again. I am making my second attempt at black copper marans eggs i got 2 nice healthy chicks from my first batch of 6 eggs. 3 hatched and 1 died after hatching. so this time i wanted to use a hygrometer to try to see what my humidity was hoping for a better hatch rate. thank you

5. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    Quote:[​IMG]

how long did you let it sit? it may catch up.

6. john in wa

Mar 31, 2009
    OK i just added more water about an hour ago and the humidity went from 25% to 44% temp went down from 100.4 to 97.7 and falling. it took an hour to drop that far. should i let it sit longer to see if the temp comes up. i don't want to kill the embryo. my other thermometer is reading 99.8 i felt a lot better about this before i bought this thermometer/hygrometer. thanks again

7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    did the temp stabilize yet??

you have to make a choice of thermometer and hygrometer..
    If you use more than one it will drive you nuts..

I use a springfield digital..

You can test it for accuracy..

if you have someplace that you know what the temp is, set the therm there for a few minutes..

get a temp reading for outside from your local radio station, or tv, and put it outside , for instance..

there is a salt/water test you can do for your hygrometer..

take a half cup of salt and add just enough water to make a paste..

set the cup into a plastic ziploc bag , do not spill the salt. now put your hygrometer in the bag and seal the bag.. wait 8 hours and check your reading.. it should be 75%.. don't ask me why.. but it works.. if your reading is different,
    then what ever number you see represents 75% and you have to either add or subtract the difference between that number and 75% and apply it to whatever reading you are going for in your bator.. easier to do than explain..

If I have thoroughly confused you, let me know..

8. john in wa

Mar 31, 2009
    i think i will just keep messing with it or maybe buy another thermometer and compair the 2 of them. i used this incubator with out the thermometer/hygrometer once and had a fair hatch for a first timer. all my barred rock eggs from my coop hatched and half my ordered eggs hatched. thank you for the help and i will keep reading the old posts and see if i cant learn a little more. i also will post back on the 8th of the month and let you know how the hatch goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by