Thermometer/Hygrometer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Yard full o' rocks, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a really good thermometer/hygrometer? I currently have 2 (auugghhh) in each incubator and both have differing readings in temp and humidity by as much as 5 degrees and 10+% in humidity. Thankfully, I just check my first batch (due on Monday)[​IMG]....and 13 of the 14 have good air sacs and a very full looking peep inside. Just dont want to constantly worry about what the REAL temp and humidity are. Thanks BTW, my second batch is due May 6 and 20 of the 23 are looking good!![​IMG]

2. bigjohn

bigjohn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Georgia
    I use a Brinsea Spot Check digital and it has been very accurate so far. I use it to very other thermometers that I have.

Also, I use a very inexpensive analog adjustable hygrometer that seems to be very accurate. They have them on Amazon for 4.95.

Hope this helps. I am sure there are other accurate units besides these, but after much stress and trial and error, these have been right on the mark.

3. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    I use a Lyons wet bulb set up.. about $40. I use the mercury one... not the spirit filled one as mercury is more accurate.

I bought a few extra of the thermometers that fit this set-up from either Smiths or GQF.

I have found the cheaper digital thermometer/hygrometers to be rather inaccuate....but I have them marked "reads about 1 degree high for temp and 2 degrees low for humidity"...as determined by the wet bulb set up.

Probably isn't perfect but seems pretty good.

Big John,
    I would like to know more about the one you got off amazon that was adjustable... I don't think I've seen that one... Adjustable sounds good!!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've got to get a decent one.

I know I should be happy with what I've got, but I only get less than 50% of the eggs to hatch after day 18 candling.

5. bigjohn

bigjohn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Georgia
    Big John,
    I would like to know more about the one you got off amazon that was adjustable... I don't think I've seen that one... Adjustable sounds good!!

I don't remember the model and cannot open the incubator now since the eggs are in their last 3 days, but if you search on Amazon for an analog hygrometer, you will see it. 4.95 including shipping. I calibrated it as soon as I received it and it was only 4% off. For that price, I don't mind ordered one every year if I have to. It is metal and only about 2 1/2" round. Fits in the front rail of my ECO perfectly.

6. Backyard Farm

Apr 1, 2009
    Thanks Big John..

..... and a shopping I go!! [​IMG]

7. Backyard Farm

Apr 1, 2009
    Found it ~~~ got it..

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by