thermometer issues.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nichole77, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    i bought new digital thermometer, it's the kind that tells the air temp outside, but also put in a thermostat that is used to check the temp inside a house. They are 3 degrees different. Who do I trust?

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I just had to decide to. You would think they would be closer together! Here is a way to check the thermometer that was passed on to me.

To check thermometer accuracy:
    Eggseronious wrote: Get a quart of ice and crush it or use a blender make an ice water mix put the thermometer down in about 2 inches and sit for 4-5 minutes should read 32* degrees make sure its a thick slush of ice water.

3. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

So, do you put one of those digital thermometers into a ziplock baggie or something?

I'm looking at two digital thermometers that are sitting next to each other and reading about 5 degrees different.....aargh....

Neither of them has an "outdoor" probe....

Susan

4. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Nichole I would get a thin baggie or a little saran wrap to protect the probe and test it. Get a quart of ice and crush it or use a blender make an ice water mix put the thermometer down in about 2 inches and sit for 4-5 minutes should read 32* degrees make sure its a thick slush of ice water. Then U can adjust the reading in the incubator by the amount it is off in calibration.

5. Eggseronious

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Susan I would be tempted to try it in a sealed something and leave it just a bit longer so the actual temps can get through to the thermometer. Just make sure its sealed up good! [​IMG] Did you not order one of those we were talking about the other day? [​IMG]

6. Eggseronious

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Farmer Kitty did you try the test? Did it get your temps straightened out. I have 2 diditals that are off now but I have a certified thermometer that I check them by.

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I checked my instant read probes and reset those. Then I figured out which ones were correct to use. Now I have to find time to run the test on the rest and mark them by how much their off. Either that or find a really good and reliable one. Thanks for the tip!

8. SusanJoM

Quote:Susan I would be tempted to try it in a sealed something and leave it just a bit longer so the actual temps can get through to the thermometer. Just make sure its sealed up good! [​IMG] Did you not order one of those we were talking about the other day? [​IMG]

Uh Oh.....busted.
    You know, I emailed them to ask how to order the thermometer and then....figuring their response would trigger me.....I just forgot all about it. Needless to say, they never answered me, and as phone phobic as I am, I never called them. Guess I need to try harder....

Remind me: did you get yours directly from the manufacturer?

Susan

9. Eggseronious

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I called their 800 number, a guy answered, cant remember his name but he answered all my questions and I ordered one.

10. SusanJoM

Quote:Okay....guess tomorrow I'll have to fight my phone phobia and CALL.
    Thanks for the reminder.

Susan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by