1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thermometer Petco brand?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MuranoFarms, Nov 28, 2009.

1. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    2 of those little clear mounted thermometers came with my incubator and turner. I had these in the incubator. I bought a humidity gauge (can't remember the name, a little gold circle with a reptile on it.) I set the eggs Wednesday night and kept the incubator at 99. Then I read that those thermometers are junk. So I head to petco and the only brand they have is a round one...petco brand. Feels flimsy compared to the humidity gauge. I bought it anyway and it's reading a about 7 degrees below the original 2.

Has anybody used this brand? I didn't want to buy it simply cause its much larger and doesn't fit in the egg cup the way the other gauge does. I'm gonna try to get the one I want (with the reptile) today. Till then.....which one do I believe? Also...if the temp is off a few degrees the first 2 days, how bad is that?

Thanks!

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Go get a oral/rectal thermometer an use it. The cheep $3 ones at the Dollar store are usually dead on. You could put it in some clay or just stick it threw the vent hole if your bator has a fan. It will read air temp just fine. Use it to tell you which one of your thermometers that are easier to read are accurate then use that one. Anything above 103 is real bad an anything below 95 is not good anywhere in between will only affect hatch time.

Thought I would add, Search "calibrate hydrometer" an do what it says. The are not very accurate.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  3. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    my last hatch i installed a fan and bought the egg-o-meter thermometer from incubator wharehouse, i still use the cheapo thermometer/humidity thing from walmart. my temps stayed within .5 degrees the whole hatch. i was real pleased with temp control and my hatch rate went from 60% to 95% my bator is a hova 1602 i am real pleased now

4. MuranoFarms

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Thanks! I have an oral one around here somewhere...I'll dig it out now! I don't have a fan in my incubator. Will it still read ok if I just lay it across the egg trays?

Thanks!

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

It will if you can read it without opening the incubator.

6. MuranoFarms

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    It seems to be about the same as the petco one. They are both reading 99. I guess the petco one does work!

Thanks!

7. Rosewynd

Rosewynd Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Anza, CA
    I am using a digital reptile thermometer. It's got a probe that I put in through one of the vent holes and the readout is large enough that I can see it without my glasses.

8. Asgard Farms

Asgard Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Belton, TX
    Quote:is it one of the ones by ZooMed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by