1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thermometer question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Farmer Kitty, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Okay, I put a side the bad thermometer from my last hatch and I have had 6 different ones in there. My problem, 3 read within a degree of each other and the other 3 read within a degree of each other but at 5 degrees higher! Is there a way to test these critters?

The first set are two digitals and one instant read.

The second set are two mercury medical and an instant read.

If there is no way to test them, what would you go by? The medical ones?

2. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I would assume the mercury ones are correct, arent they always correct? Do you have the thermometers in the exact same spot, at the same height. if not you will get different readings.

3. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They are all laying together. The mercury ones are 1 degree apart in readings. But, it seems to me they are the ones that you are suppose to test your digitals by.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    My mercury ones were never accurate. I had one that was off by 6 degrees and lost an entire hatch to it and never went back to them again. I only use digital. Are all your digitals close?

Jody

5. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Get a quart of ice and crush it or use a blender make an ice water mix put the thermometer down in about 2 inches and sit for 4-5 minutes should read 32* degrees make sure its a thick slush of ice water. [​IMG]

6. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I have two digitals and they are .6 degrees apart.
    I have two mercurys and they are 1 degree apart.
    I have two prob instant reads-one reads with the digitals and one reads with the mercurys.

The difference between the digitals and mercurys is about 5 degrees. With the mercurys being higher.

7. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I'll have to try this in the morning. It's getting time to put the DDs to bed and as we are not in the fields, I'm going to follow them! 4 a.m. comes early (especially when one is up in the night with a kid and/or kittens)!

8. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I checked my two instant read probe type and one was on the other I reset. Now I can judge the rest by them. Thank you!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by