thermometer question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by luluann, Feb 25, 2013.

1. luluann

luluann Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    OK I have a digit thermometer and hydrometer. Now my question is do I read the out door part or the indoor one??

2. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    I would say indoor.....

3. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    well it depends. Do they read the same or about the same? If they do they would probably both be ok to read off of.

4. luluann

Dec 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    No they don't that's the problem

5. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Hmmmm....... what do they read?

6. luluann

Dec 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    One says 21 something the other is 35 this is Celsius (sp)

7. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Is not uncommon for Digitals that have the probe to read 2 different temperatures. But it's important to know which is right. I have one in my brooder right now & one is reading 94.6 on the probe,(outdoor) & 96.6 on the indoor part. They are about 2" apart. I don't care which is right because this is a brooder set up for some chicks I'm getting Thursday. I want a 95 degree temp, so it's close enough. I would not use this digital in an incubator without checking which part is correct.

8. dblred0728

dblred0728 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2012
    Central Mississippi
    I'm struggling with the same issue.

Last week when I set up my incubator for the first time I determened the one that came with it and another one put inside was dead on while another one inside was lower by 1.5 degrees.

I had ordered a digital one and it came in yesterday, put it in and it says its lower by about 5 degrees!

9. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    One of the issues of having 5 thermometers is, you will get 5 different temperature readings. The only way you know the true temperature is to check the thermometers. It's a process that I've only used once, so can't explain, but there is somewhere in this forum an explanation on how to do it.
    I decided that I didn't want to mess around so I bought Thermometers that advertise a 1/2 degree accuracy. There are 2 I use, a couple from Lyon Incubator & one from Kessler Instrument. Both are Mercury filled, which some people are afraid of using because of the Mercury scare. We use to play with that stuff when we were kids & it didn't seem to make me stupid, or maybe it did & I just don't realize it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by